Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

Page 3 of 4

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:41:20 -0500, Van Chocstraw

chrysler (neon/2000 ijn particular) and many other models, there in no longer a fuel return and the pressure regulation is done in the pump, which is in the tank.
Many vehicles do not have a test point that can be reached and tapped, if they have one at all.
William Brammer wrote:

Under pressure. Very possible to spill gas in your garage. Lot of work and trouble to save a few bucks a month. I'd rather keep the car in tip top shape(tire pressure, air filter....) and try not to be lead foot.
William Brammer wrote:

Yes there is a fitting on the fuel rail. You need a special fitting to screw onto it to open the valve and get fuel out.
The fuel pump will NOT stay running constantly by just turning the key. It will turn on for a couple seconds and then shut off. You will be waiting about 30 minutes to transfer the gas. The pumps don't pump a lot of volume. It's a great way to burn out the pump.
--
Steve W.

Its a great way to to ruin fittings and set your car up for a future leak and fire, I would never mess with some kind of tap or valve off a pressurised fuel system near the motor. Car fires do occur from fuel leaks, your insurace co probably wont honor a claim with a tap put in after they inspect it.

Quite simply and demonstrably not true on two points. While the OP didn't mention the make/model on which he's considering doing this, many vehicles have quick disconnects (similar to the below) at the fuel rail that don't even require a tool for removal, i.e. simply squeeze together the Tabs (1.) and remove the line.
http://www.diesel-max.com/my_files/images/quick-connect_fitting_400x300.jpg
Detail of nylon quick disconnect insert showing Tabs
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/v/vspfiles/photos/A19222-2T.jpg
Jumpering two terminals on the fuel pump relay will allow the pump to run continuously (as it does on most applications while the engine is running) and under nearly no load conditions, would commonly pump the requested volume in certainly no greater than 15 minutes (e.g., see NapaOnLine.com Bosch pump p/n BSHN69223:delivers ~44 G/H @ 28 PSI)
However, for an issue easily (even given this minimal amount of effort) otherwise addressed, it is a genuinely dangerous enterprise.for such extremely limited returns.

re: "Jumpering two terminals on the fuel pump relay will allow the pump to run continuously (as it does on most applications while the engine is running)"
Or just *start* the car while you're tapped in to keep the pump running.
Let us know how the ECM deals with that!
BTW...You might want to consider opening the garage door also.

.
re: "Jumpering two terminals on the fuel pump relay will allow the pump to run continuously (as it does on most applications while the engine is running)"

********************* Once the supply line is removed from the fuel rail, the engine is starved for fuel and won't run. No additonal hardware (such as a tap) is required. *********************

Should it not have been clear, the pump relay is actually first removed, then the socket terminals (often 3 & 5) are jumpered. I KNOW, I've performed this procedure an untold number of times. Kindly inform me should you require additional spoon-feeding. *********************
BTW...You might want to consider opening the garage door also.

Perchance you missed the fact that I was being facetious.
Whoosh!
Is that the sound of a joke going over someone's head or the sound of gas fumes igniting in a garage?
I wonder....

Perchance you missed the fact that I was being facetious.
Whoosh!
Is that the sound of a joke going over someone's head or the sound of gas fumes igniting in a garage?
I wonder.... ==================================== Given your emphasis to simply "start" the car and the taking to task of my suggestion to jumper the relay with your "Let us know how the ECM deals with that!" statement, you'll surely understand if I put no stock whatsoever in either your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim of facetiousness or your followup insulting pretentious superciliousness.

re: "...I put no stock whatsoever in ... your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim..."
Ya know, I'm OK with that.
I know when I'm making a funny and that's really all that matters, at least to me.
There is no possible way for me to convince you otherwise, even if I say "Really I was...*really!*" so we'll just let this slide with you thinking what you're going to think and me knowing the truth.

re: "...I put no stock whatsoever in ... your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim..."
Ya know, I'm OK with that.
I know when I'm making a funny and that's really all that matters, at least to me.
There is no possible way for me to convince you otherwise, even if I say "Really I was...*really!*" so we'll just let this slide with you thinking what you're going to think and me knowing the truth.
--------------------------------------------- An intended comedic retort that requires an explanation totally fails as an attempt at humor.
Next.

Let it slide, my friend, let it slide. It's really not worth getting all lathered up over something so trivial as a missed joke.
You've made valid points regarding relay terminals and nylon quick disconnect inserts and the gallons per hour delivered by a specific Bosch pump. We get it...you know what you're talking about.
I'll tell you what. The next time I respond in a thread that you are participating in, I'll be sure to use ;-) and :-o and :-( etc. so that you'll be able to determine whether I was trying to be humorous or not. I certainly wouldn't want you to miss the chance to chuckle at my jocularity.

$ Let it slide, my friend, let it slide.
Of course you could just as easily do as you suggest ...
$ It's really not worth getting $ all lathered up over something so trivial as a missed joke.
... but you instead choose to immediately follow-up with pretense, condescention and an intentional pejorative mischaracterization. Btw, ever notice how those least astute and capable are coincidently also often those most prone to the unrelenting offering of unsolicited advice? I have.
$ You've made valid points regarding relay terminals and nylon quick $ disconnect inserts and the gallons per hour delivered by a specific $ Bosch pump.
$ We get it...you know what you're talking about.
Thanx and all, however I neither desire nor require the validations of others. That I know what I'm talking about could hardly be more obvious, and it isn't limited to simply technical subjects. But just who is this "we" you so presumptively speak for?
$ I'll tell you what. The next time I respond in a thread that you are $ participating in, I'll be sure to use ;-) and :-o and :-( etc. so $ that you'll be able to determine whether I was trying to be humorous $ or not. I certainly wouldn't want you to miss the chance to chuckle at $ my jocularity.
While your alleged attempt at humor, as already established, failed miserably (for which you, not I, must accept full responsibility), your continuing affectations in this same vein are however convincing that you're somewhat of a clown.
--
"... but I don't mean that in a bad way." - Dom Irrera

Where ya been? The collective "we" missed ya.
re: "While your alleged attempt at humor, as already established, failed miserably..."
It could only be a miserably failed attempt at humor iff it *was* an attempt at humor, therefore there is nothing alleged.
If you feel that it failed miserably, then at least you and I finally agree that my post was an attempt at humor and not offered as a serious alternative to the jumpering of pins 3 & 5 of the fuel relay socket. That's good. Agreement on specific issues is a positive step forward in our relationship.
re: ...for which you (meaning me), not I (meaning you), must accept full responsibility...
OK, we've made some progress on the "agreement" front, but there's still some lack of communication between us. It would please me if we could work on that a bit. Let's get started...
As I'm sure you know, barriers to communication can be many and varied. However, I think this one should be simple to remove. Just back up a few posts, maybe in the range of 25 - 30, and you'll see where I very clearly stated that my comments were of a facetious nature. I do believe I *have* taken full responsibility for my actions. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I didn't.
But we're past that right? Let's recap:
1 - I said I was being facetious. 2 - You doubted my word. (ouch!) 3 - I commented that there was nothing I could say or do change your mind. 4 - Something changed your mind since you now appear to be somewhat open to that fact that I made an attempt at humor. (otherwise, what could it be that "failed miserably"?)
I do think we've made some real progress here.
re: "...you're somewhat of a clown"
Now ya see how easy this is? Clowns, well, most types of clowns anyway, were put on this earth make people laugh. By posting humorous (or apparently humorless) comments, I'm just trying to do my part.
Is that Judy Collins I hear in the background?
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:39:56 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That'd probably be more of a "whummmmmph"...

re: "whummmmmph"
True dat!
I went on a cabin-building camping trip many years ago. One night we piled up a lot of the scrap wood for a bonfire.
Unbeknownst to us, one of the campers - an adult! - poured gasoline around the base of the pile to help it get started. The pile was big enough that by the time he walked all the way around it, put down the gas can and grabbed his lighter, the fumes had spread out into a fairly large circle.
I was almost a quarter of a mile from the fire but I still heard the "whummmmmph" ... and then all the yelling/screaming.
My 2 daughters, 3 and 4 at the time, were sitting on the lap of their 16 YO cousin near the pile. He saw the ball of flames heading his way and flipped sideways out of the chair, landing facedown with my daughters underneath him. The flames singed the back of his hair as they swept over them. The girls were scared but totally unharmed. I cooked that kid a huge breakfast the next morning!
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:06:50 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Sounds like our annual bon fire. Check it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sb9jIJJ82U

The light-off come about 10-seconds from the start of the video. Keep you eyes on the small white dot at 4-O'clock 1/2 way from the center to the edge. Wait for the "whummmmmmmmph".

DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I was a kid, I lit some gasonline in the garage. It caught fire, made a yellow flame, then extinguished itself.
I really didn't see that the big deal was.
So, I make a bigger pile of gas, lit it, and although the flame got a little higher (maybe a foot or two), it was still fairly unremarkable.
Undaunted, I made an even bigger pile of gas. Unfortunately, I realized I needed more matches, so I left my pile of gas on the floor and went into the house to get more matches.
When I came back out and lit the gas, I finally understood what the big deal was about gasoline, and more importantly, gasoline vapors.
Jon
Don't you mean fwoof?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

valve, for connecting a pressure guage for diagnostics. Be slow pumping, and the car would need to be running as the pump only runs for about 3 seconds with the car not running.