Stupid smoke alarm

Page 2 of 3

Of course not but you may have no choice in the matter if the required location is immediately adjacent to the kitchen.
It's not though.

Here in Ontario smoke alarms are mandatory and they must be placed properly or in the event of a fire you can be heavily fined or even charged. This applies to new and old construction.

a kitchen vent fan exhausting outdoors would likely end the nuisance alarms from frying foods
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

message
It doesn't.
--
Blattus Slafaly ف ٣ :) ⅞

In our case it didn't either. The fan would have to be very powerful to be effective as our ceilings didn't until recently have any barrier between the kitchen and the smoke alarm. We installed a partial wall down from the ceiling to normal door height and that has eliminated 90% of the alarms.

Take a towel and fan the alarm.
where is this smoke detector?

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

It's in the living room but there is no wall between the kitchen and living room. I'm gonna have to bag it because I'm not going to live with that useless screaming. If there is a fire and the bag melts, it will go off.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

We solve the problem by not installing the smoke alarm. Just leaving it on a shelf. Then, if we cook something smokey, we simply move it to another room till done.
Not that we had this brilliant idea or anything. Just that we were too lazy to install it, and it worked well that way.
Of course that idea only works for battery operated ones.
Anagram wrote:

Great idea. Also makes battery replacement and cleaning easier.

great idea if you like to die a horrible death in a fire maybe. there are rules for where smokes go and 'on the shelf ' is not one of them.
Bob wrote:

Good point.
How about this for a compromise: Attach the smoke detector to the wall with Velcro so it can be easily given a "time out" when it starts acting up?

still not a good idea. just put a screw in the wall and hang it.

Please cut the steaming horseshit.
You won't die a horrible death if the smoke alarms are place inteligently. In the kitchen producing constant false alarms isn't one of those inteligent locations.

If you had read my posts you'd see I stated that a heat detector would be used in the kitchen. Code spells out where smokes go. Intelligent placement would be accordiong to code. 2 places NOT listed by code are 'on the shelf' and 'intelligently". Besides, by your post I seriously doubt *you* could place one 'intelligently'. Hell you can't even spell intelligent.

But thousands of alarms NOT in the kitchen are set off by cooking. Alarms placed according to codes in intelligent locations.

Yup. Obviously the OP doesn't have it in such a location if cooking is impossible w/out setting off the alarm. The usual problem is that the alarm is too close to the ceiling. Stick it on a far wall, at least 2' below the ceiling and it shouldn't false unless the roast is burning. Or don't use an ionization style detector.
I usually put the alarm on the ceiling near the doorway to the kitchen, outside the kitchen.

you really shouldn't be giving adviice about life safety stuff you know not about, dude. Did you know that in a fire the smoke will push clean air into the corner? According to code any smoke on a wall shall be between 4 and 12 inches down from a normal flat horizontal ceiling found in most houses. Not closer than 4 inches from the ceiling and not farther down than 12 inches. This is tho keep it out of the 'dead' area for smoke and in the initial smoke area of a fire.. Smokes should also be installed according to manufacturers directions. For HeyBub I have yet to see a manufacturer state velcro is acceptable for securing a smoke detector. Installation instructions are usually on the installation instructions for smoke detecors. RTFM
Bob wrote:

Wow. So I did it right, six inches from the ceiling, just because I wanted to have them reachable without standing on a chair?
-- aem sends...