Stupid smoke alarm

Page 1 of 3

Why can't I cook my morning bacon without the stupid smoke alarm going off? There is NO SMOKE! Just the smell of bacon. It goes off after I have sat down and began eating. I do use the stove hood fan which exhausts outside while cooking. Weak battery? They are a little over a year old.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Blattus Slafaly wrote:

Actually the batteries are only for backup, it's a wired alarm system.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

I usually install the photoelectric type for my customers as they are less prone to nuisance alarms.

I agree to some extent, but if you are selling a product line that has both photos and ions there is a place for both. I'd use the photo in the kitchen and the ion elsewhere. Ions are appropriate for sleeping areas, for example, because of their faster response time and general lack of cooking smoke in those areas. I know that there are some people that object to the small amount of radioactive americium in the ions but I don't personally feel that that is a big deal.
nate
I agree to some extent, but if you are selling a product line that has both photos and ions there is a place for both. I'd use the photo in the kitchen and the ion elsewhere. Ions are appropriate for sleeping areas, for example, because of their faster response time and general lack of cooking smoke in those areas. I know that there are some people that object to the small amount of radioactive americium in the ions but I don't personally feel that that is a big deal.
I'd never put any knid of smoke alarm in the kitchen. if u want something in there use a heat detector. They also make combo smokes now with ion and photo detectors.

Go Vegan!
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:01:22 -0400, Blattus Slafaly

stupid smoke detector placement.

How did you determine that? Where is a better place? Do you have a layout of the house in question?
Mine is in the hallway outside the bedrooms and on occasion, the kitchen can set it off. You don't need smoke, you only need the products of combustions that some foods or heated oils can give off.

If you can't use a kitchen for cooking, then the smoke detector is badly placed.

Sometimes one doesn't have a choice where the alarm is placed. Our advice received from the fire department specified a certain area that was legal and if placed outside that area it wouldn't be considered legal.....stupid or not.
bullshit. it's your house. After the building inspection, you don't EVEN have to have smoke detectors if you don't want to. And if they're anywhere but in the hallway and bedrooms, then there's too many.

On Aug 29, 12:11pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

re: bullshit. it's your house. After the building inspection, you don't EVEN have to have smoke detectors if you don't want to.
What if it's a rental?
Same thing applies i suppose. One of our rentals had the one in the kitchen taken down within 2 weeks of the first tennant moving in there.
I can't force them to save their lives.
What if it's a rental?
On Aug 29, 2:15pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

re: "One of our rentals had the one in the kitchen taken down within 2 weeks of the first tennant moving in there."
Wasn't it you that said: "And if they're anywhere but in the hallway and bedrooms, then there's too many"?
yep. But this is a rental. different rules. called CYA. And i don't have to listen to it every time they make toast.

re: "One of our rentals had the one in the kitchen taken down within 2 weeks of the first tennant moving in there."
Wasn't it you that said: "And if they're anywhere but in the hallway and bedrooms, then there's too many"?

Depending on your local codes, they can force you to have the detector in place and working though. some towns are tough on inspecting rental units and enforcing smoke detector and lighting codes, especially in multi-family units.
No such codes or inspections in this town. But they're (we're) working on it. My wife and I are all for it. We try to make a decent place for people to live and there are some genuine 'slum lords' in this town.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Uh, if you're the landlord. YOU make the rules about stuff like that. I'm sure your insurance carrier would agree. Even in a no-code non-inspected area, if the place burns down and somebody gets killed, who do you think they are gonna sue? No house is risk-free, of course, but if you provided basic modern safety equipment in good working order, that goes a long way with a judge.
For a rental, I'd go with line powered detectors, hard-mounted to a ceiling box. (not the usual itty-bitty screws or velcro like battery detectors use.) I'd also include a paragraph in the lease about not messing with any installed safety equipment, and that if the stuff is disabled when you do your annual inspection of the property (or are there for any other legitimate reason), it is considered a violation of the lease. Most canned leases already include a paragraph about 'no changes to property without consent of landlord'- this would just spell it out in a little more detail.
Yes, kitchen smoke alarms can be a nuisance at times- that is why I bought one with a 'hush' button when I moved in here. But you have to press it every time something gets stuck in toaster- you can't tape it down or anything.
-- aem sends...

In Ontario, the landlord is held responsible.

No law requires smoke detectors be installed in inappropriate places such as where they would go off any time cooking is performed in the kitchen.