Strange thing going on.

Page 2 of 2
clipped

years".......who knows, after killing off lots of them perhaps only "super" fire ants will exist (kind of like the bacteria/antibiotic breeding). Terro works great for me ... have used it in my home over about 40 years. When I have grease eating ants (going after a tiny speck of shredded cheese), I surround their tidbit with Terro, they get to the drops of Terro and soon tell their friends ...... most Floridians keep all bread and sweets in fridge because ants are so invasive.
Napalm?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

DDT will do it. And yes, you can get it. DDT will kill Fire Ants for a hundred years after only one application.

Sounds familiar.
If you're confident with a screwdriver...
Kill the main breaker, open the box and tighten all your neutrals.
Might as well do your hots and the grounds while you're in there.

Sounds familiar.
If you're confident with a screwdriver...
Kill the main breaker, open the box and tighten all your neutrals.
Might as well do your hots and the grounds while you're in there.
Thanks, but as we're only about 50 yards from a major, (30 to 40 trains a day) railway, we're well aware of the loose connection program. I tighten up the hots the neutrals and even the cabinet screws at least once a quarter. That's always the first thing I check.

Since you said tighten up the hots, I assume that includes that includes where the main cable attaches to the bars in the box?
Had a relatively new home and that started happening although no where near your level. Electrician who wired the house said to tighten those two if I was comfortable with it. Wasn't comfortable with it but did it anyway and it resolved things. I mean the main may be off and even pulled but thise cable lugs stay hot unless the meter is pulled...I think.

Had something like this recently happen to me. It ended up doing $4500 worth of damage to my house, so beware. In my case, the power company's nuetral line failed at the transformer. Apparently surge protectors can handle power surges but I only had one survive (well the stuff attached to it survived, the surge protector melted) the alternating current from a blown nuetral. Tvs, clock radios, stereos, control boards on the stove, etc. did not survive. BTW the power company only paid for new surge protectors, light bulbs (the hi-efficiency ones did not survive), an electrician, and the stove repair. Everything else came out of my pocket. I mention that because I am in Texas too and apparently this denial of damages is part of the deal they made about deregulation.

Sounds like a brown out to me (upstate NY). Since the lights are dim at the same time the fan runs slowly it doesn't sound like something inside your house. Perhaps your electric company drops the available power at night since there's less usage? You might try calling them and explaining the situation.
Had same problem for two years.Turned out to be bad ground on transformer on pole.Drove me crazy I just remembered about it when I saw your post.Also check line comming into breaker panel. Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK