storm door closer: pin?

My storm door closer has a pin that attaches the closer to the bracket mounted on the door. The pin will occasionally work itself out.
I'd like to replace the pin with something that won't do that. I had thought of a pin with a hole for a cotter pin, but there's not all that much available.
Any suggestions? I thought maybe something some threads at the end, but I'm not sure what kind of nut I can use that won't come off easily.
woger151 wrote:

a) Drill hole in the one you have if long enough b) Make one out of stove bolt if can't find right size (which would seem fairly unlikely in a decent hardware selection) c) Nylok nut would work fine if don't drill...
10-24 screw or bolt with nylon stop nut, comes to mind.
Or, a big cotter pin bent out at the ends, instead of the work-out pin.
Or a large common nail, which is too long to work out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
woger151 wrote:

I just put a small tie-wrap on the end of mine so it will not pop out.

A goober of latex caulk will hold it in place, and still allow the pin to be removed without much effort.

re: "a pin with a hole for a cotter pin"
It's called a "clevis pin" and just about any hardware store or home center will carry them in many different sizes. Is 1/4 too big?
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=999600109
You don't need to use a cotter pin..you can find very small hitch clips that will work, or just use a small paper clip which will hang neatly out of the way.
re: "I'm not sure what kind of nut I can use that won't come off easily"
A lock nut with a nylon insert should work just fine:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=999600081&in_dim_search=1

A regular small bachine screw with two nuts on the end, so they lock against each other.
Or a nylock nut.
wrote:

A regular small bachine screw with two nuts on the end, so they lock against each other.
I've had good success with nylon stop nuts. I prefer bolts, over bachine screws, cause the bolts are easeier to turn (wrench, versus screw driver).
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My front door was doing that. I squeezed the end of the pin with a pair of vise grips just enough to burr it a little. I will probably have to take it out with a center punch the next time I have to take it out. Screws and locknuts are better ideas.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

if you use a bolt/nut just use a nylock, it won't work loose. Alternately find a good hardware store and get a clevis pin and a hairpin clip. If they don't know what you're talking about when you ask for the above, you're in the wrong store.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
woger151 wrote:

Go to a big box or hardware store and look in one of those slide out compartmented screw boxes that usually have a few each of odd parts and see if you can find a push nut or push on cap nut. If you replace your pin with a threaded screw, it could lead to premature wear of the pivot point. Here are some links to give you an idea of what I'm referring to.
http://tinyurl.com/ybk7ozh
http://tinyurl.com/y8o9obl
http://www.aaronspushnuts.com /
TDD