Storing Ladders (Ideas?)

Spring garage cleaning is coming soon, and I need to find a good way to store my ladders in our garage.

I currently have my two extension ladders hanging on wall hooks, but this wastes a lot of wall space. And, I've got two large step ladders I need to store now too. So, hanging them all on the walls like that simply isn't an option. I need all four ladders for various purposes around here, so I can't get rid of any of them.

I could put two or more ladders on each set of hooks, but it's a real hassle having to pull the front ladders off when you need the one in the back (Been there... Done that...).

My garage ceiling is just under 10' high, and all but one of my ladders is taller than that. So, standing them up vertically is not an option either.

One idea I saw used overhead rollers to store the ladders up near the ceiling, above the garage doors. Unfortunately, this would tend to block the lighting in my garage and reduce overhead clearance for woodworking. A couple of my ladders are also quite heavy to be lifting up into overhead racks.

Now I'm starting to think about storing the ladders flat on "shelves", or maybe on their sides in a cart that could roll under a work table?

Can anyone suggest other ladder storage options?

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Thee is, of course, the option of storing them outside. Not good for wood ladders but no harm I can see in aluminum ones. Mine hang from hooks up under the eaves of my sheds.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Heya Anthony,

I have 4 extention ladders like you, 2 I frequently use, 2 maybe once a year. What I did with mine was to use 2 large bicycle hooks (2 per ladder, 8 total) on the ceiling, the other end uses a nylon cord and a small pulley (1 per ladder, 4 total), again mounted on the ceiling. I put one end up on the hooks, wrap the cord around the other end (I use an "S" hook and just put it around the cord), pull the cords and tie them off to cleats I mounted on the wall. Gets the ladders up within 3 or 4 inches of the ceiling. Total cost for all the hooks and pulleys was around 20$. Works awesome doesn't block any light, they are secure and completely out of the way.

If you go this route, make sure the hooks and the pulley's are into the ceiling joists.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

I have mine hanging on hooks from the ceiling. You could probably use a couple pulleys and a rope to pull up the end after you hook the first part if the ceiling is too high.

Reply to
toto

If you are to lazy to pull one ladder off the get to the other, then sell them!

Reply to
Raid

You can also use your extension ladders as porch railings; saves buying a railing and is real handy to use.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Sure, but should you need to put the extension ladder against the porch railing, you'd have to twist the ladder into a Moebius loop. Then you'd get lost climbing it, because there's no way to know which way is up.

Reply to
clifto

I do the same thing, it works great, the biggest hassle is that they are above the garage door, so the door has to be closed to get the ladders down,

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

I was out in the garage this morning, further pondering my ladder storage situation... :)

I looked into the "Little Giant" ladders another poster mentioned, but I'm still a bit skeptical and don't really have that kind of extra cash right now anyway. It looks like a nice system though.

Brian,

JimmySchmitts,

If I'm understanding your description, your ladders essentially hang flat up against the ceiling? I like this approach, but I forsee a few problems:

  1. The garage door has to be closed to get the ladder down.
  2. It would be difficult to take down the ladder if there was a car or woodworking equipment in the garage. Not good if the car is up on jack stands and I suddenly need a ladder!
  3. My long ladders would extend out into the room, reducing headroom for swinging boards and plywood around.

However, with an eye towards the ceiling, I "think" I have found solutions to my ladder storage...

My two smallest ladders are short enough to stand vertically on the floor. So, I think I'll just install a couple of vertical dividers and stand these two ladders next to each other (with the edges against the wall). I use these two ladders the most, and this would allow easy access to either of them.

The two larger ladders should fit nicely above my side entry door between the wall and the garage door track. Rather than hang them flat like you have, I will probably hang them on edge from the ceiling. This will let me take each one down individually. But, I need to investigate a few options for hanging them. I may use one of those rope/pulley hoists systems made for storing bikes. Or, I may just build something similar to your method.

I can't really use the space for anything else anyway because of the entry door, an electrical panel, and the garage door tracks. The ladders would utilize the space nicely, and would be accessable even if a car is in the garage or the main door is open.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband