Re: coming soon

"Four legs good; two legs bad." --> "Four legs good; two legs better."

"Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives" --> ???

Reply to
Max Demian

I was listening to something on R4 about the cost of the lockdown.

Apparently if the cure makes the economy drop more then 6.8% then the cure is worse than the disease.

Today the BoE announced that GDP is expected to drop by more than twice this. Oops, and I don't suppose this was included in the Imperial College spagetti code.

Reply to
Andrew

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."

Reply to
charles

Is that from a purely financial viewpoint? There are other things in life than money. How about if our economy dropped back to the size it was in, say 2010 or even 2000 (years picked simply because it was 10 or

20 years ago) , but nobody died? Would that be better or worse?
Reply to
Chris B

I saw some economic projections about the lives lost if the economy tanks. I was not convinced.

Reply to
GB

I saw some economic projections about the lives lost if the economy tanks. I was not convinced.

Reply to
GB

I saw some economic projections about the lives lost if the economy tanks. I was not convinced.

Reply to
GB

s/animals/people

Reply to
Max Demian

Wibble wibble bitch bitch.. Did somebody say something? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2

Is that from a purely financial viewpoint? There are other things in

Financial harm on this scale translates into death, misery and failure to thrive/lead fulfilling lives for a substantial subset of the population, not necessarily confined just to those alive today. A meaningful gauge of how the expected benefits of lockdown for a given period compare to the costs, beyond the financial, should always be part of the calculation that determines the approach, when facing a threat such as COVID.

I'm not convinced that the disease modelling that has driven Government policy is accurate enough to allow it to play such a prominent role. A computational model is only as good as the data it's built on and as far as I am aware, the scientific community didn't know a great deal about variation in permissiveness to viral infection at the time the UCL model was constructed. The model was probably based on some sweeping assumptions that erred hugely on the side of caution. To me, the data acquired over the last few months look as though a substantial proportion of the world's population are not especially susceptible to catching COVID-19, so it runs riot largely among those who are especially permissive to infection, then wanes.

Regards.

Bill.

Reply to
bill.shitner

There's a big difference between those who die from covid and those who die with covid. AFAIK we only know the latter number. How can the situation be modelled without the key piece of data.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We don't know the other one either.

Nursing home deaths are being linked to COVID in the absence of tests.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris