storing a 20 lb propane tank..

In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the BBQ itself is not an option.

Reply to
Hench

There's not much difference between storing the tank on the deck - you know, the one that's attached to the grill - and storing the spare under the deck.

Do it and don't worry about it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just put a hat on it.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

That is where I keep mine. Never had a problem in 45 years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Whatever you do, don't store it indoors or below grade.

If the tank leaks, you could have a house explosion, so not storing it indoors is kinda obvious.

Propane is heavier than air, and so if the tank leaks, it can fill a house basement or root cellar with propane and anyone going down there could suffocate before they know what's happening to them; especially if they lose their footing and fall down.

Reply to
nestork

Remember, Propane is heavier than air, so any discharge/leakage goes DOWN and accumulates in low spots (like basements and drains) - unlike NG, which is lighter than air, so dissipates upwards

Reply to
clare

But there's always a first time. Did you see that fertilizer plant explosion on the news from West TX? Well, if that propane tank blows, it will look just like that fertilizer plant, and people will die for miles around your house, and many homes will be destroyed. Your best bet is to take it about 20 miles away from any buildings, and leave it outside with a tarp over it. Be sure to put up signs that say "Danger Explosives - Do not Go near!". Then take photos of the tank and the signs in case someone does go near it, and dies, you at least have court evidence when you're sued for murder.

Reply to
attorney_lawsen

And, paint a smiley face with lipstick.

Just put a hat on it.

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No. I've been away on another planet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My extra tank is with the BBQ itself under the BBQ cover and on the deck, maybe just a few inches further from the BBQ unit than the tank that is hooked up. I see no problem in your storing under the deck loosely covered to protect from the elements.

Reply to
Frank

In 1999 the flex hose on our propane gas grill, on our deck, apparently ruptured while in use and turned the tank into a blowtorch spewing a 6-8' flame against the side of our house. Even after firemen arrived they could do nothing but pour water on it as nobody could approach shutoff. About the time tank 1 ran out of gas, tank 2(full), that was stored next to tank 1, got hot enough the pressure relief valve blew, it ignited and we stood there and watched about half our house burn. We now use natural gas with multiple, accessible shutoffs (with grill no longer next to house). The restoration company that rebuilt our house said it was the 3rd gas grill fire they'd worked on that summer.

Reply to
tom

My BBG is left outside all year in the snow, rain, storms, etc. The one tank is always connected to the BBQ. The second tank is sitting right next to the BBQ.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks for that info. Wife keeps bugging me to get a propane grill to replace our charcoal Weber. I like charcoal, but she does most the cooking, so has an advantage. I'll read your post to her next time she mentions propane grill. Check. Maybe checkmate, unless she thinks to employ the "We have a brick house" maneuver.

Reply to
Vic Smith

A condom would be safer!

Reply to
generic

The question should not be "can this happen?" but "how often does it happen?" and "what can be done to prevent it from happening?"

I suspect that if hoses ruptured frequently they'd change them, just like they did with the connector type a few years ago.

But it does make sense to keep the grill a few feet away from the house- not just because of possible tank problems but also because on occasion the food does flare up.

Reply to
missingchild

Oh, they're friendly enough but the sunzabeaches are top-posters! There should be a bounty on 'em! ;-)

On 4/20/2013 6:49 AM, Stormin Mormon top-posted: So, how was your trip? Are the aliens friendly? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

That is where I keep mine. Never had a problem in 45 years.

But there's always a first time. Did you see that fertilizer plant explosion on the news from West TX?

No. I've been away on another planet.

Reply to
Mitt Romley

Every years there are fires from propane grills. Most are preventable. The grill should not be next to the house for starter, under an overhang, and must be properly maintained.

I have to wonder just how old that flex hose was. They can get stiff over time and should be replaced before they do.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Only hose failure I've heard of was of squirrels gnawing through the hose. I would not think pressure would be that high in them. Good comments to keep in mind though.

Reply to
Frank

No. He pressured deck will damage it. You should depressure the deck first.

Reply to
krw

We never really knew what happened for sure. The ins investigator and myself assembled the remnants of the grill a few days after the fire and all seemed intact (tanks,burners,valves) but obviously we found no part(s) of flex line that connected tank to grill.

tom