storage of firewood

Me again.

My firewood is stacked on a cement slab next to and partly under the deck. Is this ok. How close to the brick house can the firewood be stored?

Right now some pieces are only 2 inches away. The wood is 10 months old, very dense and shows no rotting at all or insects at all. Just like new except maybe the color is a fifth of a shade darker.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

If it is brick you are OK. Just be sure it is a foot or more away from wood.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bugs-termites live in wood, 2" is too cloose, brick or not.

Reply to
ransley

I liked it when I only had one answer. So you're saying I need a foot? 6 inches?

Reply to
mm

Check out this pic. Wonder if this guy has insect problems with the way he has his wood stored?

jim

Mine's been stacked like that for years without problem. Every now and then when spraying around house for ants, etc. I'll also spray base of stacked wood. You generally need damp conditions and route to soil to get termites. Next door neighbor got them and now, fortunately, his treatment killed all in the area. Before that, another neighbor offered me wood stored on ground, away from his house, and it was termite infested - no thanks.

Reply to
Frank

That's great. Thanks.

I had a friend who grew up on a small farm in Illinois, became a NYC lawyer, read books on how to build your own summer home and built one with short logs laid from outside to inside like in the picture. Although bigger diameter and not as many.

Well, they kept shinking and he had to keep filling in with cement.

He did however do most of the work by himself and with friends and a little with a paid crew, plus paying someone to blast out enough to make the bottom of the house on a flat spot. And paying for one other big thing. Plus I think his enormous windows (pretty much window in one direction) came with installation maybe.

Reply to
mm

Check out this pic. Wonder if this guy has insect problems with the way he has his wood stored?

That looks like one of Mother Earth News' idea of a wonderful house. I went to their farm back in '82 and most of the displays and homes were nonfunctional.

Reply to
C & E

Keep it far enough away so that you can easily clean and inspect the foundation. Keep the wood dry and move it monthly. My personal preference is to keep wood at least 20 feet away from the house (who wants termites 2" away?)

Reply to
Phisherman