Storage life of Quikrete?

How long does Quikrete (the quick-setting variety, for setting fence posts), still in unopened bags, last? -- i.e., before it sets simply by absorption of moisture from the atmosphere. I have some left over from a project at least 6 months ago; AFAICT (without opening a bag), it's still OK, but is it really?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I've used bags that were a couple of years old and they were still fine, as long as yours is stored out of the weather it should be as good as new.

Reply to
Mikey S.

I trust an unopened bag over an open one, for 6 months :)

Reply to
Oren

Provided they are not stored in a wet area where they can absorb more than just the humidity from the air, they should last indefinately. The worst that humidy should do is form a very thin crust next to the paper. I have used bags that were several years old and stored in a garage in Houston without problems. And if you can find a more humid place than that, I don't want to know.

Reply to
BobR

Moisture is the problem. Humidity can cause it. It does not take much in an area having high humidity.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

if it hasn't turned to a rock, then it's ok.

S. Barker

they will not last indefinately. They will eventually (about a year usually) absorb enough moisture to become a bag shaped rock.

Provided they are not stored in a wet area where they can absorb more than just the humidity from the air, they should last indefinately. The worst that humidy should do is form a very thin crust next to the paper. I have used bags that were several years old and stored in a garage in Houston without problems. And if you can find a more humid place than that, I don't want to know.

Reply to
S. Barker

Should be okay as long as you haven't left it out in the rain/snow and the mixture is still powdery when you open the bag. The ingredients don't "degrade." They simply set if they get wet. The bags are fairly well sealed against normal humidity, but not precipitation.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

I have seen a number of responses suggesting that it is OK as long as it has not turned to a rock. In a way that might be true, but if you want any serious strength (you may not need it for a fence post job) you want concrete that has not had a chance to absorb moisture from the air even if it has not yet hardened.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yep. Been there, done that. The 80-lb bag-shaped rocks are a nuisance to throw away, too.

Reply to
Bill