Stinky clothes

You got these clothes (especially underwear) that you've been wearing for years. You clean 'em normal in a washing machine with good detergent and clothes softener (Snuggle or whatever). And they still don't smell right.
What makes clothes stinky? What can one do to make 'em unstinky (like unscented)???
Thx, Will
snipped-for-privacy@screwmail.com wrote:

That's why they stink. You need to wash them more often.

On Sun 02 Aug 2009 07:33:57p, Wilfred Xavier Pickles told us...

A pre-soak and inclusion in the wash water of some Arm & Hammer Washing Soda should take care of the problem.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Dry it in the sun.
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Borax.
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:33:57 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Use unscented soap, no fabric softeners, baking soda in the wash, vinegar in the rinse. Dry the clothes on a clothes line in the sun.

I think this is an excellent answer.
Lewis.
*****
Phisherman wrote:

And in the future don't let wet clothes/towels sit in a hamper or a pile on the floor letting them develop mildew. If it's not getting washed the next day it will start to mildew unless you hang them over the sides of the hamper or somewhere else to dry. My X wife would pile wet towels into a basket letting them mildew. Then she would claim she need scented detergent to get rid of the mildew smell (and I'm allergic). That doesn't get rid of the smell, it just covers it up. She refused to listen so I washed all of the (almost new) towels using a good amount of chlorine bleach. I gave them an extra wash to get rid of the chlorine and they smelled like..... nothing! Wanna hear a woman bitch, just go bleach all her fancy colored bath towels. Can't say I didn't warn her.

Was that part of the reason for the use of the letter "X"? <g>
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I knew someone would mention that! :-) At the time I hoped it would steer things that direction but that was just a tiny thing compared to the whole messy affair. No not that kind of affair! I simply married the wrong woman.

Of course, you should hear her side of the story: "That Tony, what an *ss. He knew he was allergic to mildew but he'd just let the wet cloth stay in the hamper while I was cooking dinner and vacuuming the rugs. He just sat there and browsed the internet. He wouldn't even talk to me. Then, when I FINALLY got around to washing the cloths, it wasn't good enough for him. So he took the cloths and REWASHED them. You know, if he'd have just washed them in the first place it would have been exactly the same amount of work for him, BUT NO, he sat on his *ss and waited for me to do it. Then, the spiteful b*st*rd took the whole load the dumped like a gallon of bleach in it just to be spiteful and ruin the towels. So now I have to go out and buy new towels. I don't see why that moron couldn't just do the towels in the first place. I tell you, he's not getting anything tonight, not after ruining my towels. That lazy b*st*rd. I need to calm down. I think I'll call my sister. She always gives me the best, unbiased advice. I know she it'll be good advice because she knows Tony for being the lazy, uncaring b*st*rd that he is."

It all sounds good except the clothes line: I'd hafta pour concrete and sink some poles in the yard, and that wouldn't really fit ...
I didn't know you could buy unscented <anything> anymore. Y'all use unscented detergent? Recall the brand??
White vinegar like for salads?
Much Thanks, Will
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:28:33 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Umm... My local target has "Free And Clear" detergent. Costco has Kirland Free and clear. Free of perfumes and dies. I use it...

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

All Free & Clear.
nancy
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:28:33 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

The UV rays break down many stinky odors.

Tide Free.

The cheapest white vinegar you can buy, about $2.50 a gallon.

I know. Wish it were practical to do.

Not so easy to find, but :
http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-free.jspx

Also good as weed killer? :-)
Add maybe 1 cup to rinse?
Thanks, Will

Often it is bacterial in nature.
>What can one do to make 'em unstinky

Since the culprits are usually whites, use a regular laundry bleach per directions. UV in sunlight also kills bacteria, so outdoor drying works well, too.
Joe

How long do you leave them in the washer before you dry them? Too long and mildew starts to form.
We have noticed that since we bought a front loader which spins at 1100 RPM, the clothes need to be removed sooner than in our old top loader.
I think that because they are so much dryer after being spun in the front loader, they begin to get odiferous a little sooner.
In addition, if you are drying them too much, they can take a bit of a burnt odor for a short time. Bath towels are the worst culprit.