steel stud sleepers for basement

I'm finishing my basement, which on occasion (1x evey 18 months or so) gets puddles of water (1/4" deep) during heavy storms. Given how minor the situation is I'm not inclined to go thru the LARGE hassle of installing a sump (which would have its own problems I won't get into). Given that, I am looking at laying doubled up (to form a "box") steel stud tracks every 16" then putting a plastic vapor barrier, then laying 3/4" plywood (which I got for free). I know that framing studs are not meant to be load bearing but I figure that doubling them up and having them directly on the concrete would be OK. The reason I want to use steel is that they won't rot or absorb H20.

Anyone out there know if this might be a decent solution or have any other ideas for the floor.

PS - I was originally going to use the Delta-fl product but I'm convinced that the H20 would migrate above the clearance level of the dimples

Reply to
jbemail

Am I reading this right? You want to install wood over a concrete floor that collects water occasionally?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If the concrete floor gets wet, and it is covered up with some other flooring that prevents the water to evaporate....... sounds like a mold problem in the making, on top of all the other problems that were mentioned. Fix it the right way the first time.

Reply to
JoeBillyBob

Steel does rot, they call it rust. Even galvanize

Reply to
mm

I think I'd use trex, or possibly recycled brick, in preference to steel. Or put in the kind of raised-floor system on posts they make for old-style machine rooms, but that's likely too expensive.

Reply to
Goedjn

Stepping stones?

Reply to
HeyBub

Ever hear of rust?

If you put some type of flooring over the water, you will have a mold farm. This is a bad idea. Fix the leak, add a sump, or forget about finishing this space.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Pebble-bed under a floating floor. And forced air underneath it to dry it out and remove radon.

Reply to
Goedjn

Reply to
Jeff

I have tile of some sort in the basement, came with the house, and when the floor got wet, several of the tile came loose. Sadly, all 4 of the tiles at the bottom of the stairs and at the door to the laundry came loose and broke into several or many pieces. They must have been almost broken already from my walking on them, but when the adhesive failed, 4 went into so many pieces I can't even find them let alone reassemble them.

Is there any chance of installing a cloth wick that will soak up the water and bring it up to some place it will evaporate from.

Reply to
mm

I like the idea of trex! I know galv steel will rust (eventually). As for mold, since I am getting the plywood for free I figure I can afford to treat the bottom with copper sulfate(?)

thanks all!

Reply to
jbemail

I don't care WHAT you treat the materials with. The whole project is a bad idea, and it won't be long before it stinks to high hell. Now maybe, if you built the floor in the wet zones so the panels could be lifted up, like floor hatches on a boat, it might work. Could look pretty classy, too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

NO NO NO waste of $$$ do NOT attempt to finish a space with active water trouble!!!

Tile does come lose from floor!

Theres no way to wick it away!

Where you get regular water in what happens with a severe storm?

Might end up with 5 inches of water mold mildew that can make you ILL:(

FIRST fix the water problem THEN do the remodel! Your better off to wait a bit to confirm all the water is completely gone!

When you see water on the floor what you cant see is directly under the floor its ALL water!

Reply to
hallerb

On Mar 29, 8:41=EF=BF=BDam, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrot= e:

that wouldnt help the moisture that will get in the wall coverings and furniture........ mold mold mold.

Reply to
hallerb

just know before you begin every dime you spend on this is completly wasted........

you will end up gutting it all walls floor etc to do a proper water fix.

sorry its me I HATE seeing people toss bucks in the garbage can....................................

Reply to
hallerb

that wouldnt help the moisture that will get in the wall coverings and furniture........ mold mold mold.

========================

Maybe, but some water in basements does NOT come from the walls. I still don't like the idea behind the whole project, but if he insists on doing it, he may be able to create a situation which allows ventilation/drying of the floor on the rare occasions when it's needed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If he ventilates under the floor with outside air, and seals off the subfloor with plastic, it will stink, but not in the living area.

Reply to
Goedjn

How do you know he has a radon problem?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Same way I know that you don't have anything useful to do with your time. I is sykik.