steel stud sleepers for basement

Page 1 of 2
I'm finishing my basement, which on occasion (1x evey 18 months or so) gets puddles of water (1/4" deep) during heavy storms. Given how minor the situation is I'm not inclined to go thru the LARGE hassle of installing a sump (which would have its own problems I won't get into). Given that, I am looking at laying doubled up (to form a "box") steel stud tracks every 16" then putting a plastic vapor barrier, then laying 3/4" plywood (which I got for free). I know that framing studs are not meant to be load bearing but I figure that doubling them up and having them directly on the concrete would be OK. The reason I want to use steel is that they won't rot or absorb H20.
Anyone out there know if this might be a decent solution or have any other ideas for the floor.
PS - I was originally going to use the Delta-fl product but I'm convinced that the H20 would migrate above the clearance level of the dimples

Am I reading this right? You want to install wood over a concrete floor that collects water occasionally?
If the concrete floor gets wet, and it is covered up with some other flooring that prevents the water to evaporate....... sounds like a mold problem in the making, on top of all the other problems that were mentioned. Fix it the right way the first time.

Steel does rot, they call it rust. Even galvanize

I think I'd use trex, or possibly recycled brick, in preference to steel. Or put in the kind of raised-floor system on posts they make for old-style machine rooms, but that's likely too expensive.
I like the idea of trex! I know galv steel will rust (eventually). As for mold, since I am getting the plywood for free I figure I can afford to treat the bottom with copper sulfate(?)
thanks all!

I don't care WHAT you treat the materials with. The whole project is a bad idea, and it won't be long before it stinks to high hell. Now maybe, if you built the floor in the wet zones so the panels could be lifted up, like floor hatches on a boat, it might work. Could look pretty classy, too.

that wouldnt help the moisture that will get in the wall coverings and furniture........ mold mold mold.

that wouldnt help the moisture that will get in the wall coverings and furniture........ mold mold mold.
======================= Maybe, but some water in basements does NOT come from the walls. I still don't like the idea behind the whole project, but if he insists on doing it, he may be able to create a situation which allows ventilation/drying of the floor on the rare occasions when it's needed.
just know before you begin every dime you spend on this is completly wasted........
you will end up gutting it all walls floor etc to do a proper water fix.
sorry its me I HATE seeing people toss bucks in the garbage can....................................
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:41:00 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

If he ventilates under the floor with outside air, and seals off the subfloor with plastic, it will stink, but not in the living area.
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:29:00 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Yes. According to the Usenet Rules of Evidence, prior posts are not admissable unless they show a pattern of behaviour. I don't think that one post is sufficient to show a pattern, even when combined with the original post here. But a similar case is on appeal now to the 2nd Circuit Court of Usenet Appeals. A decision is expected to be issued by June.
Observers have commented that the recent influx of conservative judges on Usenet Courts may have an effect, but many say that it's not at all clear which is the conservative option and which is the liberal.
jbemail wrote:

Stepping stones?

Pebble-bed under a floating floor. And forced air underneath it to dry it out and remove radon.

How do you know he has a radon problem?
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:15:16 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Same way I know that you don't have anything useful to do with your time. I is sykik.

How do you know he has a radon problem?

OP should have radon test BEFORE remodeling, its easier to add system if necessary before remodeling........ rather than trying to add it to a finished space

How do you know he didn't test for radon before remodeling? He didn't mention it in the original message which began this thread.

Because he HASNT REMODELED YET!......... I was merely pointing out he should be aware that test exists if he hasnt done it. Some areas are hot spots for radon, others have no troubles