Standing Water on Leaking Roof

We have a flat roof (no slope!) over our sunroom, carport and garage and recently we've developed leaks in the sunroom and garage. There are two standing water spots about 10 feet wide each over the leak areas. The standing water is 1-3 inches deep and lasts for days. We've had estimates from over 6 roofers and they all seem to be pulling answers out of a hat. All the roofers want to take off the the old covering and cover the decking with EPDM or TPO (i guess this is a good thing). They have all told me that EPDM and TPO are built for standing water "have you ever seen a commercial roof without standing water" (hmmmm, not too sure about this). Only one roofer added in his estimate to build up the low areas. Not a single roofer has suggested adding a slope with tapered insulation or other. I'm worried about future leaks and the weight of the standing water and also cosmetic. 1) What is the best way to fix this problem and what are the best materials to use? All of the estimates are around $5000 for 1000sqft and money is also a concern so we are thinking about doing the work ourselfs. 2) Has anyone had experience with DIY flat roofing repair? How did it go? Any advice? Last question....3) I've never dealt with contractors before so I assumed that if I told them what the problem was and after they inspected the roof that they would give me the best solution for the problem. Is this correct or do I have to specifiy to build up the low areas or to add tapered insulation?

Any information or advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Reply to
kittiwakecoast

There really are WAY too many variables here to give you an accurate/informed opinion. However, unless you are very skilled in the art of roof replacement I would not even attempt this as a DIY project. If you hire an honest competent contractor they should be able to replace this roof properly and end your leak problems and they should give you a warranty....something that does not come with DIY!

Yes, many large commercial buildings are designed and built to hold water on the roof. I have done some flat roof repairs of my own, until I finally got sick of doing "repairs" and hired a contractor to do a complete tear off, had trusses built and now have a peaked, gable end roof thus ending the "flat roof" blues.

As for the contractor suggesting the "best" solution....not necessarily, they are in the roofing business and will generally suggest the best repair for what you have. Try talking to a general contractor first about the possibility of changing the roof style / design if you want to be rid of the flat roof.

Reply to
George

I'm with George. I had a flat roof carport, which once it started leaking, really leaked. The pros told me patching it wouldn't work well and a new membrane roof would be the best way if I wanted to keep the flat roof.

however, they all advised me to do what George did. However, just leave the flat roof material and build a peaked roof over top of it all. Had it done a couple of years ago. Cost me $12K but no leaks....

Reply to
timbirr