Stand-off

I am replacing the 8x8 posts that hold up the roof over a concrete patio slab. If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.

Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece of DF? Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver? Would a paver be crushed by the weight?

Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?

Reply to
Walter R.

Walter-

yes, dry rot will be a problem

That is a possible solution but what about the means of providing some sort of positive connection?

The paver would really only be amarginal improvement over just putting it down against the concrete.

I doubt it....the paver is probably good for at least 10 kips

Yes, use Simpson Strong Tie post base

Checkout

ABU88 is probably your best off the shelf choice. IMO they don't give enough standoff but they meet the code minimum.

IMO a better alternative is a custom fabbed post base; like a beefed up EPB66, unfortunately they don't make an EPB88

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

has all sorts of post supports for decking. I'd use stainless steel

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yo Rex-

I didn't consider the case where the post is subjected to periodic flooding :)

Per the UBC, a 1" minimum standoff is required for untreated wood to concrete. Treated wood can have direct contact to concrete.

IMO your solution in your case (periodic flooding) makes the best sense unless you can provide enough standoff to be above the flooding.

I have in the past designed & fabbed a custom SS post base that gave me

2" standoff.

Having the wood up off the concrete "might" increase wicking (but I doubt it, esp in a flooding condition) but it will improve drying....standoff from concrete (esp end grain) is always better than direct contact.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Edwin-

I went to their site but was unable to find a SS post base. Do they have some?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I see them for 6 x 6, but not for 8 x 8. May be worth a phone call to them though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski