Stand-off

I am replacing the 8x8 posts that hold up the roof over a concrete patio slab. If I just rest the posts on the slab they will be susceptible to dry rot.
Would it be OK to place the foot of the post on a pressure treated piece of DF? Or, can I put the post on an 8x8 concrete paver? Would a paver be crushed by the weight?
Any other solutions to avoid dry rot?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

Walter-
yes, dry rot will be a problem

DF?
That is a possible solution but what about the means of providing some sort of positive connection?

The paver would really only be amarginal improvement over just putting it down against the concrete.

I doubt it....the paver is probably good for at least 10 kips

Yes, use Simpson Strong Tie post base
Checkout http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/AB-ABA-ABE-ABU.html
ABU88 is probably your best off the shelf choice. IMO they don't give enough standoff but they meet the code minimum.
IMO a better alternative is a custom fabbed post base; like a beefed up EPB66, unfortunately they don't make an EPB88
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

Yo Bob I live in a flood-prone area where I have a similar problem, only the post actually sit in water when it floods. Over the years posts that sat on the concrete rotted, Pressure Treated post set on a Pressure treated pad rotted much less. I did not try a stand off because it increases the wicking of water up the post in a flood, but would work well in less damp conditions. I did do one thing that worked very well: before putting the post in I set the ends in a five gallon bucket of a preservative chemical, like what is used to PT wood, then soaked them in a sealant. No problems so far with these posts. Rex BobK207 wrote:

Rex wrote:

Yo Rex-
I didn't consider the case where the post is subjected to periodic flooding :)
Per the UBC, a 1" minimum standoff is required for untreated wood to concrete. Treated wood can have direct contact to concrete.
IMO your solution in your case (periodic flooding) makes the best sense unless you can provide enough standoff to be above the flooding.
I have in the past designed & fabbed a custom SS post base that gave me 2" standoff.
Having the wood up off the concrete "might" increase wicking (but I doubt it, esp in a flooding condition) but it will improve drying....standoff from concrete (esp end grain) is always better than direct contact.
cheers Bob

www.mcfeeleys.com has all sorts of post supports for decking. I'd use stainless steel
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Edwin-
I went to their site but was unable to find a SS post base. Do they have some?
cheers Bob

http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?sort=&kw=&sidU9&clearance=&page=2
I see them for 6 x 6, but not for 8 x 8. May be worth a phone call to them though.