squirrel trap plans

Page 2 of 3

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:03:39 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

From about 10 feet away, I might give you 'cute'-- close up they are rats.
No way are they 'inoffensive' - they are vermin of the lowest order.
My war with squirrels began when they killed the baby Pileated Woodpeckers in my back yard.
It has continued through the years as they pillage my garden, destroy my birdfeeders, wipe out my fruit trees, and raid the birds nests [this year they got a Screech Owls eggs]

I've never had any inside.
Got plans for an inexpensive indoor greenhouse that can include an orchard and 5000sq foot garden?
You can be as nice to squirrels as you want anywhere but on my property. The fuzzy tailed rats are personae non gratae here.
Jim

I would suggest that hallerb get a few of them around his house and then get back to us in a few months. You forgot to mention they carry fleas, and all manner of stuff. Tamed? They'll bite you first chance they get. I hate even touching them, they smell so much.
Checked my trap this morning, and it was tipped. Found out it needed tweaking a bit. Reset it, and am going out to check this afternoon. How many did you get today?
Steve

2 days, no captures. The video camera is flaky- but I've got video of a blue jay and a chipmunk cleaning up the peantbutter. . . .
And several of a very acrobatic squirrel who has discovered that the key is to go into the 'dunking' end, and don't slow down. Then he pops out of the 'entrance' end and clans up the peanut butter he grabs on the way through.
So the width of the barrel and length of the tube is important--- but 4" is plenty for 'my' squirrels.
I've been having some luck catching chipmunks in a 5 gallon bucket with a handful of sunflower seeds thrown on the water's surface. So I put some peanutbutter on some bits of Styrofoam and tossed them into the barrel to see if I can entice him to go swimming.
Had my first fresh picked peach in 3 years yesterday. Heavenly.
Jim

there should be laws against killing animals just because you can.. one day a disease may look at you the same way.
just trap and relocate.........

there should be laws against killing animals just because you can.. one day a disease may look at you the same way.
just trap and relocate.........
Reply: Is that what you do? What do you actually do with the squirrels who invade and tear up your property?
What's that, Sparky? You don't actually HAVE any squirrels where you live, you just like to advise other people. Your life is so shallow and empty and perfect that you have nothing else to do with your days than to tell others what THEY should do?
I thought so.
You may go now.
Steve
-snip-

Even if there was, they'd leave in the exception for protecting crops or removing nuisance animals.

Cognizant diseases that see? Next you'll be telling me that meat thinks!
BTW- you never clarified whether you object to killing *all* animals or only the ones that don't provide *you* something by their death.
Jim

There should be laws against those who protect vermin just because they are cute. They are the ones who allow disease to spread.

Squirrels are nothing if not trainable, adaptable, agile, and flexible- http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll235/elbrecht/Squirrel%20Trap/?action=view&current=turnaround3.mp4
1 minute video showing how the squirrel reacted when I moved the pipe a bit so he could run past the pivot point from the 'dumping' end.
Gotta get a bigger barrel.<g>
Jim [the noises that sound like gunfire in the background are hickory nuts falling on my neighbor's tin roof.]

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll235/elbrecht/Squirrel%20Trap/?action=view&current=turnaround3.mp4
I am amazed that he was able to turn around, since he came back out head first. I am using a barrel that I cut about six inches out of to use on my outboard motor. Mine mounts with that end near the barrel, as the balance point is setting down in there. I am going to go to HD and get some longer pieces of pipe. I mounted mine on a 1 x 3 so that the tipping point would be farther out. It's balanced pretty close, so once it starts to go down, it goes fast. I was considering a hook latch that the squirrel would activate at the end of the tube, so that he would be at the end, and all the weight would be out there. The slightly past center tipping point would bring it back up so that the hook latch would automatically reset.
My neighbor is really having problems with his apricot trees. I'm going out to dump mine this evening, and take it down to him. He can use this prototype, and I will make the next one a little better. The mistakes I made are that I think the pipe is too short, and that I need a better hinge for the balancing point, as I think there is a little resistance in this one. Will take a picture of it today and post to Flickr. You will see how adding the 1 x 3 will change the balance point, and I believe that if you use slightly larger diameter pipe that they can't jam themselves in there to get traction.
I have a rod, and a piece of 1/2" or so tubing that I might use for the next balance point so as to get the least friction on the balance point as possible. Considering some other things, too. I have a MIG welder, and it is easy to cobble rod together and make these things.
When the tube first starts to swing on yours, it seems to go slow, maybe slowed by the chain. It has to be free of any hindrances or resistance.
I had also thought of putting a nice photo at the end of the tube, something like blue sky and clouds so they think it's open on the end. ;-) Or, you wouldn't have any X rated female squirrel pictures, would you? And I wonder, there is lots of scents available, is there eau du squirrel? I'll google.
This is getting fun.
Steve
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:58:46 -0700, "Steve B"

What is the chain for? I missed something here.

The chain on mine helps it re-set. As Steve observes, it also keeps it from dumping quickly. [but I did get another squirrel this afternoon]
You can't see it well in either picture-- but it is a little better in this one.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll235/elbrecht/Squirrel%20Trap/IMG_7270.jpg
Jim

One of the first things I saw on testing. The tube swings down so far past vertical that it won't return to the starting point on its own. Mine has a stop screw, see my post with the flickr pics.
Cut the top out of a barrel today with my sawzall and new Destructo blade. Will be working on one with a trip, rather than just the balance point principle.
Steve
Hot dang. Gundogsupply.com has squirrel scent. That might be worth a try.................
Steve
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:00:23 -0700, "Steve B"

Cut off the feet, rub the back side on the branches, tube, etc......
Scent glands? Natural?
You get to kill a squirrel and save money.
What is that chain for?
This one went out today to my neighbor for testing. Poor guy, I suspect he's running out of shotgun shells from the sound of things on his side of the fence.
I am making another, and this one will not rely on a balance point, but rather a trip that will be set off when the squirrel is at the end of the tube, and all his weight is over the end of the tube. Like a trap door effect. Well, there will be a counterbalance, but just enough to pull it back up to the latch and reset it.
This one was tossed together. Prepare to be amazed and impressed with this next model. Might even go to Radio Shack and see about battery actuators instead of manual ones.
Anyway, I'm having fun, and the squirrel raiders are on the decline around these parts.
I am also sending off for some of that girl squirrel scent at Gundogsupply.com if I can't find any here locally. All's fair in love and squirrel wars.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler /
Steve
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:03:39 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

They taste better than whale blubber. plan and simple!
Toss in some brown gravy and biscuits -- you can't beat it with a stick.
havahart trap move them far away.
my best friendfeeds squirrels, they come right up to me, are cute and havent bitten anyone.
i have taken peanuts to toss them........
I DONT beilieve in killing anything unnecessarily!

When they strip your fruit trees, it's necessary.
Steve

they must eat too, just like humans.
so what sort of fruit trees? do you really need that fruit and are going to use the fruit?
by the time the birds and insects get to fruit trees around here theres little left to harvest
-snip-

If you are a vegan, then I can at least respect your choice [though I don't understand it at all & I'm the wrong guy to be proselytizing to]. If you're not a vegan than you're just an anthropomorphizing, whacked out, meddling, nutjob. Drop dead.

Need? Are you a city boy who has never had the pleasure of eating food straight from the vine/bush/tree/ground?

Your squirrels don't eat fruit?
Jim