Squirell Control

Page 1 of 3
I have these squirrels digging holes in my lawn all over the place. How do I control them, any repellant or spray to do this ? Thanks

No. There is nothing you can do, unless you live in an area where you've got a couple of miles of nothing in any direction so you can use a .22 rifle.

"JoeSpareBedroom" chimed in with:

I beg to challenge that statement. See here:
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-2250-xt-airsource-air-rifle.shtml
or perhaps an older .22 that takes short, long, and LR and use this stuff:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemidc8772
Caution must still be employed however...
BTW - are you sure it is the squirrels digging the holes and not chipmunks, moles, skunks, etc?

Keep in mind that 54% of the population is too stupid to operate a spoon. While it's possible in a typical suburban neighborhood to evaluate a target and determine if it's safe to take a shot, the odds (as shown earlier) aren't even 50/50 that it'll be done safely.

.22 birdshot works well, and has a very short range. Available at any most any sporting goods store. Called rat shot.
Steve

Get a cage trap. Bait with whole raw sunflower seeds. Dunk the entrapped vermin in a cheap plastic bin filled with water. Repeat.
Squirrels are very, very easy to trap.
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:17:02 -0700, mike wrote:

Build a plywood box with a lid and one hole large enough for a piece of exaust pipe at end of box. Put trap in box, close the lid, start the car for a few minutes. Old piece of fence post for chain link fence from scrap yard connects box to car temporarly and box is also used to store trap when not in use.
Bait with peanut butter and bird seed, good for regular rats and bushy tailed tree rats.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:57:33 -0400, malam wrote:

Put a pile of tulip bulbs in the corner of the yard and see if they'll plant any of them.

This works for me- http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-quest-1000x.html About $100 at Walmart- head shots at 50 yards. They taste pretty good in spaghetti sauce.
Check your local ordinances for firing pellet guns - and for legality of removing pests/seasons, etc..
If you can't shoot 'em - try 'Liquid Fence' - http://www.liquidfence.com/home.html
The 'Deer & Rabbit' stopped a woodchuck from chewing off my peas this spring.
They don't list squirrels in their 'pests' - so maybe squirrels don't respond to smells as much as all the other pests they list.
Jim

Get a cat.
3 words: Jack Russell Terrier.
Or (and this would be considerable fun if you live where you can get away with it). http://www.metacafe.com/watch/28916/rodenator /
On Oct 2, 7:25 pm, <h> wrote:

a nice barking dog will discourage squirrels......
find out what they are eating in your yard, food source gone squirrels will leave too
<h> wrote in message

For a practice target?

I'm sure there are some tough cats that can kill squirrels, but most cats won't do it, recognizing the (real) danger.

squirrels, and I have one mutant cat who hunts racoons and skunks.

I could use one of those raccoon hunters. My two cats will stalk a squirrel but not jump it. They don't even want to *think* about fighting a raccoon. These are suburban cats, not country cats, though I did have a cat a few years ago that ate rabbits. My daughter kept rabbits and one of them was in love with a cat and kept uh making love to her and this taught the cat two things: 1) rabbits are awful, and 2) rabbits are easy to beat up. The cat wouldn't kill my domestic rabbits, but she started bringing home wild rabbits for lunch.
on 10/3/2007 12:10 AM Bert Byfield said the following:

When I had my inground pool installed years ago, there was a lot of dirt around the area from backfilling and grading. A squirrel was making his pickups for the winter and was crossing the dirt area to get from the woods to the next yard. My cat was outside and saw this, so he hid behind the pool pump and waited for the squirrel to come by. As the squirrel approached, my cat crouched down, and with tail wagging, waited for the squirrel to get near. When the squirrel passed, the cat ran out and attacked the squirrel. There was a hell of a fight and it looked like a cartoon fight. A big swirling cloud of dust with paws and tails sticking out. Finally, the cat returned to the pool pump and the squirrel continued on his quest. Thereafter, the cat just watched the squirrel going back and forth .
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Bert Byfield wrote:

Okay, get a bobcat.
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:09:04 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Or a Falcon.
Meat Plow wrote:

This is one of the only reasons why folk on the right hand side of The Pond should be allowed to have air pistols. Those grey vermin have all but destroyed the red squirrel here.