Squeeking door hinges

My door hinges sqeek really bad. I've tried different stuff, always back in a week or so. I don't want to use wd-40 all the time, the spray goes on the door and trim and just doesn't last. Any and all suggestions welcome.
TIA

Use a real lubricant? 3 in 1, DuraLube, LiquidWrench, heck even a drop of motor oil. Any of those "real" lubricants will do much better than WD-40 which is better at cleaning really than anything else.

If there are 3 hinges, that can be an indication that the door is mounted improperly and the hinges are out of line. Nothing to do but pull the nails along that side of the frame and reshim the door.
Or shim the hinges with pieces of cardboard until they line up.
dickm
As one poster pointed out, make sure the hinges are in line -- shim as needed. Then, remove the hinge pins one at a time and LIGHTLY grease with a LITTLE non-migrating grease, like "white lube." Put the pins back in, and that should do the trick. WD-40 is basically kerosene, and is good to loosen things up, but is not a long-term lubricant. Regular oils will bleed all over the place, though a single drop or two usually shouldn't be a problem. I've had better results with the grease approach.

Tap the top of the hinge with a hammer.
Remove the hinge pins, one at a time, mount the pin in your favorite electric drill. Use a fine grade steel wool or scotchbrite pad and turn on the drill and clean the hinge pin top to bottom. Add a bit of good lubricant and replace the pin. Repeat the process for the remaining pins. Should take care of the problem.
If you have problems getting the pin(s) up, juse a 4 or 6 penny finishing nail and drive the pin up until you can get a chisel or screw driver under the head. Most hinges have a small hole in the bottom of them.
Good Luck
--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1

Here's what I do for long, squeak-free life:
1) Remove 3 hinge pins. 2) Set door aside. 3) Soak hinge pins in degreaser and/or clean with scotchbrite pad until shiny. 4) Take a wire brush (brass/bronze gun cleaning brushes work well, so buy extras for that use only) to the female portion of the hinges. Blow out with compressed air. 5) Use a graphited liquid lube on the hinge pins and all contact areas of the hinges. 6) Reinstall door and wipe off excess graphite lube from hinges. 7) Remove each hinge pin every few years and relube with graphite.
The door will never squeak again.
Alternative to removing the door, remove each hinge set and soak in cleaner, lube, and reinstall before doing the next set. This will allow you to clean/buff and de-paint/repaint before reinstalling, too.
-- I define comfort as self-acceptance. When we finally learn that self-care begins and ends with ourselves, we no longer demand sustenance and happiness from others. -- Jennifer Louden
Light oil works fine just a drop or two per pin.
DONT use WD40 it is NOT A LUBRICANT!!!!!
Its a drying agent and turns gummy once the propellant dries
What would happen if you coated the threads with JB Weld? Just be sure the water is turned off and everything is dry before you do it.
Mark
Jimmy wrote:

in
the
Door hinges are designed for easy removal: you just drive the pin upwards with a blunt nail or any rod narrow enough to fit. So: 1. You can remove the pins and remove the whole door; then sand any edges of either hinge that shows signs of wear or scraping. Grease with automobile hinge lubricant, then reassemble. 2. When oiling from outside, mask the wood before you spray the metal.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Remove the pins from the hinges. Rub a bar of soap (don't wet it) on the pins. Put the pins back and you're all set with no squeaks for a long time.

parafin. Also clean and polish hinges and pins. Replace cheap rusty hindges with good quality or even with new cheap ones. Even the cheap ones will go quite a few years with no problems.