Sprinkler stopped working

Page 1 of 2

hi I have an irritrol garden sprinkler system. I just went to turn the Sprinklers on from the Controller and although it shows the different cycles when i turned it on manually there is no water coming out of the sprinkler heads. I have checked and made sure that the water is not turned off. Let me know where to begin. Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

The best place to begin is to RTFB.
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Add pictures here
βœ–

First thing I'd check is if it has a rain sensor or similar lockout. If so, is it set to bypass? After that, I'd try removing power completely and resetting it. Next, I'd start with one zone. Set it on and check to see if you have voltage going to the terminals for that zone. If not, disconnect the wires to the zone and see if you then have voltage to the two terminals. If there is no voltage, then it's the controller. If there is then it's time to find out where the valve for that zone is and what's going on out there. Most valves you can also turn on manually by turning them.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jan 30, 5:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I will check and see if the rain sensor is the problem. I will disconnect it completely. The rain sensor however has not worked in 5 years. I will check the voltage to the terminals today.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jan 30, 5:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I disconnected the rain sensor completely and had no luck. Everything was reset etc etc. I did check the main power and it did read 24VAC in the controller. I have seven zones so what i did was i disconnected the wire to zone 1 and then turned the sprinkler on and saw on the display it reporting zone 1 active. I connected one probe from the voltmeter to the single wire zone 1 and the other proble to a electrical ground cable (did i do this right) and read voltage across. So this tells me it is not the controller. I guess i will have to find the valve for the zone. Are all the valves in one place. Is it where the pressure regulator is i.e near the sprinkler shut off. Sorry, doing my best have no knowlegde of sprinklers. thanks again Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

WE have to assume from your posts that you were not the owner of the house when the sprinkler was installed????
Add pictures here
βœ–

yes correct
Add pictures here
βœ–

You get no water at all, is this first time on and no water this year, if so maybe the water is off, I have a basement and exterior shutoffs. All my valves have their own wiring on the valve at each zone all over the yard, can you find a valve to see if its got power, and maybe just a water valve somewhere is off, I remove an exterior anti drainback valve each fall, and have shutoffs cobbled in besides a basement main valve.
Add pictures here
βœ–

No, i live in texas we don't shut off or blow water out of the sprinkler in winter. I did run the sprinkler a month ago just before a hard freeze in the area though Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

or also referred to as RTFM
Other suggestions / comments that you'll probably get are: Is Google broken? or DAGS (do a Google search)
Do you have the manual for your irritrol sprinkler controller?
(btw it's helpful to post the model number of the unit you are asking about. Irritrol makes a number of controllers)
Manuals usually have a troubleshooting section.
If you don't have the manual, then go to their website, unless the controller is ancient there will most likely be info online that will help you.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
IrritrolHQ had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Sprinkler-stopped-working-422321-.htm :
Based on what I have read so far my best guess is a broken common wire. I have made certain assumptions here so let me explain. My first assumption is that you have multiple zones and none of them are coming on. If it is just a single zone on your system then the diagnosis broadens to the common wire, the hot wire, or the valve itself. My second assumption is that when you disconnected the rain sensor, you a) reconnected the common wire to the common terminal or b) put a jumper between the two sensor terminals, depending on how the sensor is connected into the controller. My third assumption is that you actually have the 24vac signal at the proper terminals when you activated zone 1. You should be reading from the #1 zone terminal and the Common terminal identified as COMMON, COM, C, or VC depending on the model controller you have. You said you have verified that your water is turned on but the best way to verify that is to find your zone valves (typically found in rectangular boxes with green lids) and activate a valve using the manual bleed function of the valve (typically a screw, or lever, or sometimes you just rotate the solenoid a quarter turn). This will turn that valve on until de-activated. My final assumption is that you have NOT been digging anywhere recently and possible put a shovel through your wires (if so that’s where you look). Given all that, your likely source of aggravation is the common wire going from the controller to the first valve or valve grouping. This is a shared wire that gets daisy-chained from valve to valve. If you can locate the first physical location where this wire terminates it is likely that wire connection. Please feel free to contact our Technical Support department @ (800) 634-TURF (8873) for further clarification or assistance.
Best regards,
Add pictures here
βœ–

Check its got power in, power when switch is turned on. I can hear my clock and feel the unit locking in when manualy switched, does it have a different Day lockout, turn the days rotor, loose panel wires, if not the panel then a rain sensor or main valve maybe. On my panel Ive had switches stick, setting lockouts, loose wall plug, loose wires, fuse popped. Outside just cut cables from the gardener.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The controller is coming on and i do see it cycling thru the zones. Only thing is there is no water coming out at the zone.There are no lose plugs or wires. Nothing should be cut as there is no gardener doing my lawn. Also, i have not cut the lawn in a couple of months.
Add pictures here
βœ–
david wrote:

Everything you will ever want to know about irrigation systems and problems is here: http://www.irrigationtutorials.com /
It is time to learn about solenoids, here: http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/faq/repair-valve.htm
Enjoy....
Add pictures here
βœ–
david wrote:

http://www.irritrolsystems.com/resources/product_literature.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
david wrote:

Long, long time ago I had some sort of problem with irrigation system. The repair guy told me to turn off the breaker for one minute, remove and replace the battery. Whatever it was fixed the problem.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks for the tip, I tried that too and it did not do it. Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

One of the first responses was, I think, to replace the battery, but it was phrased ineptly and might not have been understood. Every ten years or so I have problems with my controller (another brand) and each time replacing the battery solved the problem.
Since this is a multi-zone system and apparently none of the zones is working, the water supply and the controller are the likely problems. Seven valves are very unlikely to fail all at the same time, as are seven sets of wires.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Not@home wrote:

I think they sometimes behave kind of like a browser that hangs and you can't do anything but reboot....the key, I think, was to cut all power for long enough time that whatever glitch was in the memory disappeared. Changing the battery alone did not solve it; had to cut the AC as well.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I got it to work, In the controller there was a lose connection on one of the wires that were crimped together. I happen to wiggle the wires and the sprinklers turned on. I did go back and secure and dress all the connections. Everything seems to be good now. Thanks all for helping out.
Add pictures here
βœ–