Spray painting pottery.

Swimbo wants two pot lamps to be spray painted (She is the arbiter of taste around here; I merely do the conversions). When I sprayed the lamps with a lacquer there was an immediate 'crawling' effect of the paint on the surface. It looked like a severe case of fish eyes, as if I had painted over a very greasy surface. I removed the paint with lacquer thinner, washed the pot surface again with the thinner, then tried a spray applied primer. Same result. This effect is like someone had sprayed the pot with silicone anti-foam. It is an extreme example of surface tension in action.
Can anyone suggest a primer which might not crawl on this surface?
Peter.
It sounds like form release agent.
When the wrong release agent or curing compound is used on a concrete floor that is incompatible with floor adhesives, you wash the floor down with muriatic acid followed by plenty of rinsing or shot blasting the floor.
You might try an intense washing with soap and water and a scotch brite pad before the muriatic method.

Suggest trying Zinsser Seal Coat prior to muriatic acid. Seal Coat is 2# dewaxed shellac that is used to undercoat many finishes and sticks to almost everything. It would be the first on my list.

Acetone, is the finish cleaner that I use because it evaporates completely. Thinner is not a cleaner. Rubbing Alcohol might work as well, not Isopropyl which has water in it. Start with TSP, let dry and then Acetone. Please do this outside. Acetone is pretty aggressive.