Split bookcases?

Does anyone know anything about bookcases that are called something like "split shelves" or "split case"? I saw them in Walmart when I was looking for an inexpensive bookcase. They measure about 72 inches tall but there's a bottom half and a top half. So the bottom would be something like 36 inches and the top would also be 36 inches and then you put the top on the bottom to get a 72 inch bookcase. They're not the kind with glass or doors.

I was wondering if that kind of bookcase would be any good? I would worry that it isn't sturdy and that the top part would fall over or break off. I can't even figure out how they're connected to each other.

I had wanted just the regular bookcase that wasn't split in two but Walmart doesn't seem to sell them in their stores anymore. It's just as well, I can't fit the regular 72 inch bookcase in my car anyway. I had thought about ordering from their website but they seem to have two different models and they don't indicate whether they're split or not. I suspect some of them might be. Plus, with the shipping, it would cost more than I could or would want to pay.

Reply to
svu geek

I'd certainly put an anchor into the wall for any case that tall, spit or not. They can also be screwed together.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Anything at Wally World is likely chipboard crap anyway- maybe okay for a short closet shoe rack, or a short bookcase in a kids room that only has to last a few years, but I would never try to use that junk for a six-foot case full of real books. Top and bottom are probably held together with plastic dowel pins you drop in holes in the top of lower unit, and set upper part over. If you are in quake country, and/or have kids, any tall bookcases should be belayed off to wall anyway- it doesn't take much. A spacer block and a long drywall screw through back of bookcase into a stud will do it.

I'd save up and get some real bookcases from an unfinished furniture shop, or one of those discount places selling the cheap pacific-rim wood case goods. Garage sales (especially in college towns, if you have one nearby), are also a good source for bookcases, as are government or commercial auctions. As to hauling- unless it is raining, a six-foot long 36" wide bookcase will hang out a trunk just fine. The Wally World prefab ones will be in a flat box anyway.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Try another store. You should be able to get one that you have to put together for about 30 bucks.

Reply to
Kathy