Spiral staircase repair

AND
wrote:
Well it is some kind of metal obviously...
So look in the yellow pages for a local welder/welding company and have them give you a quote on fixing it...
Aluminum can be arc welded with special welding sticks or MIG welded... Stainless steel can be MIG welded... I doubt that your handrail is stainless steel given the way it is painted, it is most likely made out of the same metal that the diamond plate stair treads are constructed from... You said it is non-ferrous which would indicate towards aluminum...
For this to be repaired by welding the paint will have to be removed from the area to be repaired -- can't weld through paint -- and an area where the welder will be grounded to the staircase to complete the circuit...
Either way this is NOT a DIY project if you are NOT an experienced welder...
Let your fingers do the walking on this one...
~~ Evan
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:03:55 -0700 (PDT), Evan

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Nothing I can fix myself.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

"Jan Philips" wrote in message

I have things welded from time to time by a local welder and his prices are *very* reasonable. Sometimes he only charges $10 or $5.
Of course if he had to come to my home, it would be a lot more. But I would think it would be not too much.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:52:52 -0700, "Bill"

Thanks.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

If you have someone that treats you that good on just short shop jobs, I'm sure that he'd treat you good on a mobile job. Five minutes worth of welding can add up to a few hours from the time they leave the shop, drive through traffic to your house, drag out all the cables, weld it, roll up, and get back to the shop. Not all of the time is spent welding, but it is all spent on YOUR job.
Steve (retired steel erection contractor)