Specialized wrench needed

At church we have a couple panic bars that stop working, now and again. What I need is a small wrench that's about the shape of letter F. Need to bend a piece of metal a couple degrees, but it's near the lock case. Vise grips or crescent wrench hits the lock case. Need a strange tool.
Off the edge of my memory, didn't they make right angle offset wrench for ignition systems years ago?
I may take a small box wrench, and use a grinder or saw to cut a notch in the end, at the correct angle. Hmm. Might work....
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/20/14 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Distributor wrench?
On 5/20/2014 7:43 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Could be. Needs to bend a piece of metal that is about 1/8 thick. So, a wrench that goes over 9/16 bolt head would not do.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Looks like those are still available: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-8-pc-standard-open-end-ignition-wrench/p-00944778000P
Dean Hoffman" <""dh0496\"@win*&dstr$%eam.net wrote:

Probably what he's talking about . I made one from an old 9/16-5/8 double box wrench . Works swell on my '86 GMC distributor .
--
Snag

On 5/20/2014 8:04 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Would it work swell to bent a piece of metal that is near the lock case?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

How small is small? Your memory of "ignition wrenches" is correct - up to about 3/8 inch.
On 5/20/2014 12:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I was at the church, today. The tab is about 1/8 thick, and 3/32 out from the bend. Not much to grab. I tried small vise grips, and not enough room to swing. I ended up cut a steel strike plate with a dremel, and that's not totally perfect. My next try will be a large screw driver with a slot at the end, at the proper angle.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

chunk of high carbon steel with a 3/16" slot cut in it. Harden and draw temper to make it hard and tough.
Cut the slot at the required angle and position to make the bend you need easy.

Ignition wrenches and distributor wrenches are two totally different tools. Distributor wrench was for adjusting timing (or removing/replacing distributor). Ignition wrenches were for terminal nuts IN distributors and magnetos, and on coils, switches, etc. Dist wrench 1/2 inch or 9/16" range. Ignition wrenches 3/16 to 3/8" range.. Distributor wrench USUALLY a box end, with the handle bent into strange shapes depending on the vehicle/engine it was designed for. Ignition wrenches straight handle, often with jaws at closer to right angle to handle, bur not bent handle (jaws on the "edge" of the handle instead of the "end"

But a distributor wrench and an ignition wrench are two totally different animals.

How about a crow's-foot wrench http://www.sears.com/tools-wrenches-crowfoot-wrenches-sets/b-1214364367 and a small flex handle http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-in-dr-10-in-flex-handle/p-00944363000P with a square drive size to match the square hole in the wrench?
You might not have to use the flex handle; the ratchet you already own might be enough. But the flex handle has a much smaller "head" than the gear mechanism on a ratchet.
Matt Roberds
On 5/22/2014 2:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

You're going in the right direction. Sadly, not enough room.
--
.
Christopher A. Young