Speaking of batteries...

"The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT) has warned that the software included in the Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains a backdoor that allows unauthorized remote system access."
http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer-battery-charger-comes-with-a-software-backdoor
Technical stuff http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/trojan-found-usb-battery-charger-software

I guess the biggest question is why a product like this even exists.
Doug Miller wrote the following:

Don't we have enough USB powered gadgets, and why does it need a program? I have an AC powered Radio Shack battery charger that can charge 4 or 2 Ni-Cads or NiMhs, either AA or AAAs, or 2 AAs and 2 AAAs at the same time.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

Not sold anymore. http://hothardware.com/News/Energizer-USB-Battery-Charger-Taken-Off-Market-For-Security-Vulnerability / How to fix if you have one. http://www.pcworld.com/article/191055/energizer_warns_of_trojan_in_battery_charger.html
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

http://hothardware.com/News/Energizer-USB-Battery-Charger-Taken-Off-Market-For-Security-Vulnerability /
http://www.pcworld.com/article/191055/energizer_warns_of_trojan_in_battery_charger.html
So they stop selling the battery charger, which has no problem, for the sole reason that the software which doesn't come with it and has to be downloaded seperately has a trojan.
Makes perfect sense.
Jon

WHERE did the software originate? China?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

There was a problem with those Radio Shack battery chargers. When you aren't home, it's rummaging around in your wife's underwear drawer.
THAT'S why I keep finding it there, breathing heavily.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's as on topic as moldy cheese in the sock drawer!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Its happened a few times recently, you get a free virus in a new product, Vodaphone has an issue just posted today at MaximumPC, it contained several botnets even conficker.
HeyBub wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/5489413/energizer-battery-charger-comes-with-a-software-backdoor
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/trojan-found-usb-battery-charger-software

I've wondered if Toyota is getting it's computer chips from China and a vehicle based cyber attack is actually going on?
Oh yea, I'm guessing the battery chargers are manufactured in China.
TDD
Thanks for the head up. That's totally worth knowing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

So? What do you gain by accessing a battery?
nb