Sound blocking from upstairs...HELP! Need recommendations!

I need to block out the sound from upstairs. The folks who own the unit above mine are incredibly loud walkers and have chosen to ignore my requests that they consider that I'm hearing them pound around. Rather than start a neighbor war, I thought I'd research what I could do to my unit (other than move out) to get that noise out of my life.
I want to block the sound out. Will an acoustic ceiling help with that? If not, is there any home improvement project I could do to achieve that result?
dt

somewhat. if you're renting, you won't be able to put one up. in that case, you'll probably have to move.
There is very little you can do to block out the noise. Is the unit above you carpeted? Acoutic ceiling will do more to reduce the sound (echo) in your unit. If you are in an apt. try complaining to the manager.... but reality...you will probably need to move Terry

case,
Cheapest bet ,, move, you will Never be happy. Be Happy
snipped-for-privacy@sun.com (dt) wrote in message

You are dealing with impact noise. It is carried through the structure. That leaves you with little you can do, particularly in a multiple dwelling. Try researching acoustics. TB
Low frequencies require the most insulation , Low bass frequencies are 4 ft long+ compared to high frequencies which are under apx 10000 hz 1/2" long , ever wonder why you hear boom boxes Bass, well , long frequency, and it takes 4x the power to reproduce low frequencies to be heard. As well as great insulsation for LF so if you have an 8 ft ceiling hang 4 ft of fiberglass under it , if your a midgit you will be ok . If not stoop to 4ft. Or Move.
if you own the place there is channel made for that the channel 20 years a go called rc1 gets naled to the celing and drywall gets screwed too it the rc1 channel helps icelate your dry wall from the uper unit safemale
On 21 May 2004 14:00:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sun.com (dt) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@sun.com (dt) wrote in message

Some apartment complexes require a given percentage of the floor be carpeted. Any chance of that in your case?
TB
dt wrote:

Earplugs. Fifty cents.