Something leaving small animal parts at my door!

Having had outdoor cats for a few decades, I gotta agree with ValGal to some extent.

Our cats usually enjoy the fruits of their labor in private and the leftovers are found in the back corner of the garage or under a bush, depending on where they decided to have their picnic.

The "front-door gifts" have been fully intact, albeit demised, creatures in the form of birds, chipmunks, mice, etc.

I don't recall every having been gifted just pieces and parts.

I'll agree that it *sounds* like a cat, but the pieces and parts is not prototypical in my experience.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I returned home from work and my Weimaraner was chewing on something. It turned out to be a deer leg and I had a vision of a three legged deer hobbling around in the woods. I suppose some hunter tossed it out some where but I never did figure out where my dog got the darn thing. He sure was proud of that leg, it kept him occupied for quite a while.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have to agree...the original post made it sound as if separate, intact organs were being left. That would seem very peculiar...cats don't dissect their prey.

Reply to
norminn

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news:V4idnbmHEOF3zmHWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

El Chupacabra !!

Reply to
ktos

I had a cat that would do that. It was always the gall bladder (intact) with a bit of attached tissue and always on the front step.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

After thinking about my post above for a minute, it dawned on me that my cat's leavings weren't a "gift". That cat just like to dine on his victim at that location.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Maybe not your cats, but all my formerly-feral cats left all sorts of intact organs and various pieces (paws, tails, ears) for us every morning. I've only had one cat who ate everything and didn't leave us the "bits".

It's a cat, probably abandoned, trying to get in your good graces.

The cat's just doing the best it can, but doesn't have a lot of tools to work with.

Kitty doesn't know you'd prefer an Ipod.

Reply to
HeyBub

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: ...

Send him over this-here way; ours haven't been doing their job and keeping up... :(

Reply to
dpb

My only cat was acquired with my husband and trained by me :o) Kitty was an indoor cat...there is a coyote living somewhere on a golf course not far from where I live and I suspect it is well fed with outdoor cats.

Reply to
norminn

hehe-- But they must listen a little. Our outside cat used to leave us little bits from time to time. Hearts, gallbladders- a foot or two.

But one Mother's Day it left an entire intact mink on the stoop. Mommy wasn't too impressed with the 'rat' the cat left at the door until I told her it wasn't a rat, but a mink.

Great hunter outside-- but it apparently thought we had dibs on the inside mice. When she died & we tossed 'her' chair- we found it full of cat food in places that cats could never get to.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

re: "I returned home from work and my Weimaraner was chewing on something. It turned out to be a deer leg "

I was doing stuff in the front yard the other day and noticed my dog chewing on something. I thought it was one of his Dingos or rawhide bones, so I didn't bother myself with it. After he went inside I walk past where he was playing and found out it was a chipmunk.

I suspect my cat had killed it and left behind the bushes and the dog pulled it out. It was all slimy, but intact.

Yesterday, my wife was in the backyard with the dog and asked me to please remove the dead rabbit so the dog would stop playing with it.

My cat has obviously been busy!

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[snip]

"Nibbles", one of my cats brought a small rabbit in one evening. In the morning, I found a patch of fur and a kidney on the floor. He often leaves bird feathers in the bathroom.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yup. Normal cat behavior. Back when I had many outdoor formerly-feral cats we called the roof above our basement walk-out the "wall of carnage". That's where everyone would leave their "gifts". Many mornings we would find 5 or six livers, kidneys, etc., several ears (from different types of critters), a rabbit tail, a few paws from mice or moles, etc., and doG knows what else. All laid out very neatly and in orderly fashion. Yeah, cats are "dumb" animals. Umm, yeah, right. When I see bumper stickers saying, "My cat is smarter than your honor student", I have to smile, because it's true. Yes, I currently have the dumbest cat to ever draw breath (she's alive because she's cute), but I've had the privilege of living with cats smarter than some of my former co-workers. Seriously.