Soldering eyeglass Frames

Page 5 of 5
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 02:21:31 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

The only time I did it successfully was with an acetylene-air torch and silver solder it. It needs to be heated red hot, the borax flux melts. A touch of silver solder instantly melts and wicks into the heated metal frame.
Eyeglass repair webs say they use gold solder.
I could almost make the temple from wire (run the screw through a loop). If only I knew where to find "antique bronze" wire that stiff and thick.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:04:16 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Fence wire, and modeling paint.
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

My tip: Take them off before attempting to solder them.
*+-My tip: Take them off before attempting to solder them.
Have been known to be quite ambidexterous, but not THAT much!
More seriously, I would need something to hold them in place.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Uncrewed the leftover part of the frame and it is the size of a nut. I thought there might be some stem left, but no. This seems undoable. I once repaired plastic frames by screwing an eye-screw into the frame with a similar fracture. I wonder if I can't solder an eye screw (looks like the letter P) in there. In the toirtoise shell plastic glasses, the eye screw repair looked darn near invisible.
Heck, it would almost be easier to twist the frame 90 degrees and put a hole in perpendicular to the flat side and run the screw through that.