Soft Kitchen Flooring

I'm interested in replacing the flooring in a kitchen and I'm looking for ideas on how to make the floor soft. Right now the floor is just tile over concrete, which gets lots of complaints by the cook - she would much prefer the feel of carpet with padding under her feet. I was considering putting Marmoleum over cork, but I'm worried about the cork rotting. Any suggestions?

Anything soft enough to feel like carpet over padding may get holes in it whenever something with a hard edge is dropped on it. Chairs and other furniture will also poke holes, or at least leave dents. Maybe not the first few dozen times, but eventually. Will she go with a commercial look? You could seal and caulk existing floor to make it almost waterproof (since it is over concrete), and get a bunch of those interlocking industrial floor mat things. Sams usually has a cheap thin version, but a restaurant or industrial supply will have the real ones. Not pretty, but easy on the feet. When something gets spilled, or it gets too grungy, just pull up and take to carwash to power-wash pristine as new.
Or maybe just buy her some of those special padded shoes people who are on their feet all day wear, and split the cooking duties? :^)
aem sends...
Laminated like pergo are fairly soft and a foam sheet is used underneath. Water will damage any floor if enough is used and it drips down through. Cork would work just change your washing habits

are on

LOL. The shoes make too much sense, but I'm not sure anyone has the guts to eat what I cook.
I saw a kitchen remodel on TV a couple weeks ago and they used sealed cork. It looked surprisingly nice and the lady loved it -- said it was very easy on the feet. I believe they said it comes in different colors.

cork.
easy
Dee,
Thanks much. It looks like sealed cork or floating linoleum/cork will be the answer.
I saw a kitchen remodel on TV a couple weeks ago and they used sealed cork. It looked surprisingly nice and the lady loved it -- said it was very easy on the feet. I believe they said it comes in different colors.

Large rubber backed rug? Or like the shock absorbing they use in commercial kitchens? Astroturf?
Astroturf. Thats it.