Soda Machine (was Refrig not allowed in <40F)

"Since you understand thermodynamics, you can easily understand the problem. Inside the fridge is a thermostat Once the temperature get below about 35 to 40 (depending on setting), it shuts the compressor off. It does not matter what the freezer temperature is, the other portion is satisfied so no need to add more cooling (actually, heat extraction). Thus, the freezer will also attain the same temperature as the fridge portion since the ambient provides all the heat removal needed."
Great explanation! I have always wondered......... I see Coke Machines outside in 10F weather. How do they work?? Do they heat up to keep the soda at 35F?
Mike

Sounds like a good idea, I just unplug my barn fridge from November through March. The trouble light is the only thing plugged in.
Nick

Yes, I'm not sure if it is a separate heater or the compressor reverses like a heat pump.