So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

Page 1 of 6

25" of snow Saturday. The farmer who has been handling snow removal here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. Driveway is 660 and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. Called others from the Yellow Pages, no dice. Another foot of snow expected Tues.-Wed. Death by starvation. Never thought I'd go out this way.
On 02/08/10 09:10 am, Stranded wrote:

The unemployed people all went out and bought trucks with snow plows and signed up to get listed in the Yellow Pages, but the new edition with their names and numbers hasn't come out yet.
In the meantime, they're all hanging out on the street corner waiting for you to drive along and hire them. Got enough shovels?
Perce
Stranded wrote:

Blame global warming!!
Tony Hwang wrote:

Very well could be. Weather extremes are one symptom.
Bob F wrote:

If we were actually seeing any weather extremes I might believe that, however the weather we are seeing now matches nicely with the weather we saw around 30 years and change ago, and 30 years before that, etc. This stuff runs in cycles and the current crop of global warming alarmists is too young and / or has too short an attention span to realize that what we are seeing now is nothing new.
Pete C. wrote:

May I ask how old you are? All I know is during summer I can't see any snow caps on the Rockies which were there even 20 years ago. Columbia Ice field is retreating like crazy even you young guy like me can notice. I had to install central air couple years ago. Korea experienced coldest/snowy winter in 60 years.
Tony Hwang wrote:

40.
The earth does not stay static for our convenience, it continues to go through it's normal cycles and changes whether we like it or not.
wrote Re Re: So Where Are All These Unemployed People?:

Exactly.

Or, they figure the rest of us have a short attention span. If we had short attention span, we'd do things like sending incompete
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Uh, temps are 10 degrees below normal where this snow is blasting.
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:47:55 GMT, hereiam@home. (* U S *) wrote:

That's why it's now called Climate Change instead of Gloal Warming. Too many stupid people think that Global Warming means that it will always be warmer and never get cold or snow again. "Oh wow, it's cold, so much for global warming!"
Most of us learned that heat is energy and that more energy in the atmosphere means more extreme events. And yes, over all, higher average temperatures. Maybe not where you are right now. Where I am right now we're getting another big snow storm.
ptom.

We've also learned that the best way to get away from people asking questions is to incorporate it into the "theory". ANYTHING that happens is part of the problem. Real convenient.
--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

Yup. I'm where it's not snowing, although it "normally" would be. We've gotten less than 2 inches total from both storms, and the temps are in the high 20s. "Normal" for my neck of the woods is at least 6 inches a week and single digits at this time of the year. Everyone south of us is much colder and much deeper in snow. Been like this for several years now. Certainly not the weather we had 30-40 years ago. It's certainly not a "normal" weather cycle like some other poster was positing. When I was a kid we had snow in November and it was up over the windows by January and we didn't see grass until April. We regularly had temps of -20F (not including wind chill) or colder for days at a time. This year we've barely dipped below 0 and most of the snow melted (lawn is mostly grass) weeks ago. We got a dusting this morning, but it will be up above freezing soon, so it will melt again. Very odd winters the past few years. Love it, though.
dgk wrote:

More heat equals greater extremes? By what law of nature, thermodynamics, God, man, or physics can that possibly be?
If I add heat to a pan of water I can get ice?
Global warming = more severe winters is a scientific fiction.

The climate changes 4 times a year here in Maine...Spring , Summer , Fall and Winter...Man Made Global Warming or Climate change or whatever the environuts are calling it now is a HOAX...
HeyBub wrote:

About every piece I have seen on "global warming" that had any depth said: - temperatures are rising on *average* taken *world wide* - the resulting climate change at any *point* is unpredictable - maybe hotter, maybe colder, maybe productive farm areas will loose their rain, maybe.... Weather patterns will change in unpredictable ways. - on average the energy in the atmosphere will increase - including moisture which is a form of energy. That can cause more severe storms, thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, ... - in short, more extreme weather.
A very large snow storm is consistent with "climate change" - there is more heat in the atmosphere in the form of moisture. What little I have seen on this storm is it is like lake effect snow with the lake being the ocean.
Also consistent with "climate change": - massive rainstorms and mudslides in California - drought in the south - light to moderate rain over at least 8 hours around Christmas in Minnesota, also another day since.
No scientist would say any of the above is from "climate change". To do so would confuse "weather" with "climate". Denying "climate change" based on a snow storm shows a similar lack of understanding of science.
--
bud--

I'm not a climatologist and I suspect that you aren't either. Anyway ...
The Kool-aid set would scream "global warming" regardless of the weather.
30 yrs. ago, it was the "New Ice Age."
Fact is that there's no proof that warming is anthropogenic, or that man can reverse it, or that it is necessarily catastrophic.
Fact is that all sorts of recent stories are breaking but being swept under the rug by the mainstream media about flawed data that supposedly support the "global warming" concept.
Fact is that the individuals and organizations who are pushing the concept are those in favor of redistribution of first-world wealth.
Fact is that the climatologists who have expressed the need for more study have been silenced by the media. I'm talking about scientists, not Limbaugh, Palin, etc.
Must Be Bush's Fault wrote:

There is no "proof" for much widely accepted science, like plate tectonics.
There is wide consensus by experts in many appropriate fields that anthropogenic global warming is a fact and is a serious risk to the world.

The goal is to slow and then stop it.

The Greenland ice sheet is not only melting, it is melting much faster than predicted. The rise in ocean level from a melting Greenland ice sheet alone would be catastrophic.

Ah yes, the conspiracy, including many national academies of science.
Not to worry - it is effectively countered by the Bilderberg Group with the help of the Illuminati and the Elders of Zion.
I really don't find arguments on science that is backed by a wide consensus of scientists interesting. The arguments often involve alternate realities.
--
bud--

Nice snip job.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:07:29 GMT, AnAbsoluteShitLives@WhiteHouse. (Must Be Bush's Fault) wrote Re Re: So Where Are All These Unemployed People?: