Snow blower power ratings

Page 4 of 4

The engines are NOT the same on the snow blowers. Some have Briggs and Stratton, some are Tecumseh and others are Honda powered. Finding the size that I need in measurements that I am not familiar with is the problem. Buying a size that is not up to what I require will inevitably result in the machine being inadequate for the job at hand.
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:35:04 -0400, "Worn Out Retread"

Foot lbs X rpm /5252 is horsepower. So you need to know the RPM.
The reason they have done this is because several companies were sued for over-rating the horsepower their engines actually put out. Like a lawn mower has a 4.5 HP engine (rated at 3600 rpm by the manufacturer) but because of the blade length and safety regulations the engine is limited to 2400 RPM on the mower (maximum velocity of discharge limit). So the 4.5HP engine is now 2.85 HP - but it is STILL a 6.56 ft lb engine.
Worn Out Retread wrote:

Hi, It is all matter of useful HP and useful torque. HP rating is often very misleading. If Peak HP occurs near top rpm it won't be good. I'd pay more attention to torque. I still remember what I was told when I was a kid. Torque is how big a stump an engine can pull, HP is how fast.

That is the point of the question asked. I want to buy a machine of at least the same power as the old machine but the system of measurement has changed so that creates a problem that I have to solve before parting with my money.
--
Ron

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:00:05 -0400, "Worn Out Retread"

You have the tools now. torqueXrpm/5252=HP The old engine was rated at 3600 RPM - universally. So your new engine torque X 3600 /5252 is the rating of old engine that is equivalent.
If it is an OHV engine it will usually have a broader power range, so will do MORE work than the old side valve equivalent, and on less fuel.
Worn Out Retread wrote:

Hi, My local Sears flyer over the week end listed several blowers with only torque ratings. Did not list HP ratings.