Smoke stained grout

I am looking at doing some touch up work to get my dad's house up for sale. He is a heavy smoker. The white tile in the bathroom and the white grout are a dingy yellow color. Other than removing the existing grout what can I do? Michael
MKnott wrote:

Try a little bleach in the cleaning water.

Try a Bleach/water solution. Cleanser also works well with a scrub brush and lots of elbow grease, or if possible making a cleanser paste to stand on the grout several hours.
--
Luke
Have you tried CLR?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:06:22 -0400, "MOMPEAGRAM"

That's a good suggestion. Lime-away, which is similar, may also work. However, the OP was on about tobacco stains on grout, so I think neither would be effective. And, just my experience, I've found cleanser or bleach better on tile grout.
--
Luke
Don't blame it on smoking blame it on not cleaning! Did you try cleaning it?

I had the exact same problem when I bought a new house. I used something called "Tile Grout Coating," which I found at the hardware store.
http://www.homaxproducts.com/tile_1.html
It coats over the grout stain. I put it on about six months ago and it still looks fine (I didn't use it in the shower part yet, but the rest of the bathroom gets humid and a little wet too, with no ill effect). I was kind of surprised it worked.
Good luck.
Dave
Not another post from an anti-smoker !