Smoke stained grout

I am looking at doing some touch up work to get my dad's house up for sale. He is a heavy smoker. The white tile in the bathroom and the white grout are a dingy yellow color. Other than removing the existing grout what can I do? Michael

Reply to
MKnott

Try a little bleach in the cleaning water.

Reply to
G Henslee

Try a Bleach/water solution. Cleanser also works well with a scrub brush and lots of elbow grease, or if possible making a cleanser paste to stand on the grout several hours.

Reply to
Luke

Have you tried CLR?

Reply to
MOMPEAGRAM

Don't blame it on smoking blame it on not cleaning! Did you try cleaning it?

Reply to
Raid

[snip bottom quotes]

That's a good suggestion. Lime-away, which is similar, may also work. However, the OP was on about tobacco stains on grout, so I think neither would be effective. And, just my experience, I've found cleanser or bleach better on tile grout.

Reply to
Luke

I had the exact same problem when I bought a new house. I used something called "Tile Grout Coating," which I found at the hardware store.

It coats over the grout stain. I put it on about six months ago and it still looks fine (I didn't use it in the shower part yet, but the rest of the bathroom gets humid and a little wet too, with no ill effect). I was kind of surprised it worked.

Good luck.

Dave

Reply to
David