Smoke detectors for the elderly

Page 5 of 6

<stuff snipped>

sort
Satan. I have a Uniden cordless phone with a beltclip and every time you bump into something, it tries to call the last number dialed and often succeeds. There's no way to lock out the keypad when carrying it around.
I have a Panasonic VCR remote that requires you to push two buttons to record. Unfortunately, they are the two highest buttons on the remote and if you put it down button-side down the weight of the unit presses on the two record buttons at the same time and the unit begins to record over whatever tape was in the unit. It even happens if you drop the remote the wrong way.
I have a new Nikon SLR that I have yet to figure out how to turn the flash off other than holding the pop up flash-head manually which is harder than you might think. It's certainly not intuitive.
-- Bobby G.

No argument here.
When people design "phones" that work by putting the video screen to your ear, I just don't know.
Josh
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:38:10 -0400, "Robert Green"

You should have five fires and five CO emergencies, to evaluate this aspect of the detector. A hundred would be better, but I'll settle for 10. I'm glad you found what you wanted and that you posted it.

LOL
<stuff snipped>

Thanks. I looked into that, along with calling both my firehouse and his (they just closed it a month ago, so they were not of much help!) to see what programs were available. The DoD reimbursement had to be done their way, which meant maybe waiting 6 weeks or more for the unit because they have to approve it first. I didn't feel comfortable waiting, nor do I like to spend a lot more for stuff just because it's got a "medical" label on it. Thank god the FirstAlert unit does the trick and for even less than the reimbursed price of one of the speciality units. That means I can get more of them to spread around the house.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

I guess they need a smoke detector that shakes the bed.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Used to have 'em in some motels. Only cost a quarter.
Robert Green wrote:

I'm sure something must be available -- the fire alarms (which are triggered, inter alia, by smoke detectors) where I work are so loud the deaf people I work with can _feel_ them when they sound.

Brand? (Maybe they make a home-model? or a LARGE-HOME model?)
David
Robert Green wrote:

I haven't followed the entire thread, so don't know the solution. With an elderly person with such severe hearing loss, he might be eligible for special alarms...either as handicapped or elderly person. I suppose you have checked with the fire department?

To summarize:
* The industry has recently recognized the problem * First Alert offers some speaking alarms, with warbling three-beep tones, that work well starting around $40. * There are also (much) more expensive and specialized versions.
J.
<stuff snipped>

Thanks for the summary. I'd add that my friend's hearing loss is bad, but he's nowhere near deaf. What happens as many people get older is that their ability to hear very high frequencies decays rapidly. "Aging ear" is so prevalent that it allows kids to create ring tones only other kids (mostly) can hear:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13274669 /
and by to drive them away from certain areas with high frequency sounders:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/23/tech/main4039016.shtml
I was always dubious about those ultrasonic pest devices, but we now have proof that it works with at least one pest. the common spotted teenager.
-- Bobby G.
FYI: I just learned (by reading the plastic package these thincs com in) that there are TWO types of, well, FIRE alarms:
1: SMOKE alarms, that work via PHOTOCELL -- and this kind has a "P" on the package.
2: the kind that works via some wee radioactive thing, that senses, I think, the FIRE. It has some OTHER single-letter printed on the package.
The instructions advised have BOTH types. Unfortunately, Costco (where I shop) seems to have only the P-marked kind.
David
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:02:40 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote Re Re: Smoke detectors for the elderly:

Most of the above type of alarm uses Americium-241 (an Alfa particle emitter) in it's detector chamber to ionize air and detect combustion products.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:02:40 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

The 2 types are "photoelectric" and "ionization".
Most smokes in use are photoelectric, the ionization ones are very sensitive and tend to false alarm more often.
Walmart (on the Web) sells a First Alert Detector that uses both methods and can be remote controlled via a TV remote control to cancel unwanted alarms or to test the systems. Costs 19.96 Best Buy rating in Consumer Reports
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id 848833#ProductDetail
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Somewhere towards the beginning of this thread I saw (but cannot find it now) a post with the suggestion to:
Dig into the thing, disconnect the alarm, and wire on instead something really LOUD, LOW PITCHED, etc.
To me, that's a pretty good way to go.
Measure the voltage when it's beeping (er, trying to beep), then go buy a relay that works at that voltage, hook up some HIGHER voltage or power source to the other end of the relay that goes to eg some electric version of a truck horn, or fire-engine siren (hell, maybe an ordinary siren (a la Odysseus on his way back from Troy, having himself tied to the ship's mast -- which if that doesn't get him "up", I don't know what will!), something like that.
Or maybe hooked to an install-it-yourself burglar-alarm, with horns distributed througout the house.
------
What *I*'d like to do is somehow get into my APC UPS -- you know, that big HEAVY battery-plus-electonics box you plug into the wall, and then your computer into it.
There's NO WAY that I'm going to hear the beep-beep-beep-beeping sound if I'm up or downstairs from it, and the circuit blows, OR if I'm listening to music or whatever via earphones, OR if I'm asleep or napping (with the bedroom door closed).
Thinking along as I write this thing, maybe that burglar-alarm idea isn't so bad.
ESPECIALLY if it has TWO kinds of beeps, eg one for burglar, and another for one of those around-the-neck "HELP -- I'm in trouble (fell down the stairs, ...)", and use that 2nd one for the UPS.
(I sure don't want to go rushing around the house finding out which computer UPS it is when there's actually an armed burglar loose in the house!)
Anyone have any ideas on HOW to do this, to get into the UPS to wire something (eg a relay) in parallel to its beeper?
Thanks!
David
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:45:43 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

It's also against code.
One should NEVER tamper with the insides of a life-safety device. Find the right device for the right purpose.
G. Morgan wrote:

Unless, of course, there doesn't appear to be a "right purpose" device and the alteration improves the function for the specific purpose.
Which specific Code section are we violating here? Manufacturers' warranties, etc., sure, but I'm not sure Code covers modifications for purpose.

I am 110.3(B)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

If a function can't be achieved w/ off-the-shelf components then that's saying complying w/ Code overrules accomplishing the task. That's an over-application of the Code w/ the letter overruling the intent.