Smoke Alarm / Heat Dector Questions

Hi,
My house has 3 hard wired smoke detectors, BRK 1839WM. The house is about 10 years old. I was going to replace them, however, the house also has 2 wire Edwards Signaling heat detectors, model 283B, in the garage. As far as I can determine the heat detectors do not have an audio alarm. Thus they must be connected to the smoke detectors. My guess is the 2 wires in the head detector are connected to the interconnect and neutral. I think the heat detector shorts the 2 wires when the heat reaches 135 degF. Is that what the smoke detectors are looking for - a short between the interconnect wire and neutral? Will the new smoke detectors work with these heat detectors?
thanks in advance,
Sheldon
I think the smoke detectors are wired using the red interconnect wire, so when one goes off, they all go off and the heat detectors in the garage are independent units

The heat dectors are wired to the red interconnect wire.
Sheldon