Smal insects in kitchen-HELP

Page 1 of 2
I get these small insects - very tiny, inside grains or powder type of food stored in the kitchen cupboards. I keep throwing stuff away. How can I prevent these insects ?
malam wrote:

Put the food packages in the oven for a while when you first buy them. That should keep the eggs from hatching.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Take all of the food out of the cupboards and cover with newspaper, spray the cupboards with raid also spray in air when you are going out .
I am willing to throw all the food stuffs away, but is there a way to prevent these insects ? What are they ?

malam wrote:

Probably weevils.
The grain preparation process cannot separate weevil eggs from the good stuff.
Eventually the eggs hatch.
You have, seemingly, two choices:
1. Use the grain product within a reasonable time. 2. Enjoy another source of protein.

Thanks. I had a couple of boxes of cereal that had the insects in them too. I will throw out all the opened bags and boxes. I find that the bags that are in the freezer are fine.

Just take samples to the public health office or the entomology department of your nearest college. The range of beetle species is immense, but the most common household types are well-known.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
jim wrote:

Roaches love newspaper for nesting.
Bee there, done that. Usually bugs comes from buying some unprocessed grain; usually something like bird seed, or food or spices from a foreign foods market. From my experience with food moths in my cupboards, first throw away anything that looks suspicious. Any old rice, grains, cereal. Inspect for webs or larvae. Even if its in plastic they can eat through it. Glass jars with rubber seals are the only insect-proof way to store food.
If they don't go away, then things get drastic. They are in the walls and you need to starve them out, or have a terminix guy spray poison. I didn't like the idea of poison near my cupboards so I took a safer, but more difficult route. I threw out everything in the cupboard and made do for about 30 days, storing the new stuff I bought in another room. After a month the insects in the walls were dead and I restored the food to the cupboard, problem gone.
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:08:53 -0800, HamNCheese

Thanks. I will throw out the old bags and boxes of cereal and grains. I can't seem to eat the cereals fast enough. I'll switch the position with other non-food items for a while. I found by trial and error that the grain and powder bags that I kept in the freezer were ok. Can these devils attack baking flour ?
"malam" wrote

Fllour is the most common entry point for them.
Cshenk wrote:

Indeed. Try this trick - put a bay leaf (the dried kind from the spice isle) in with your flour or other vulnerable food - the bugs can't stand it and won't move in. I've done it and it worked in an old apartment I had that had thousands of the things at one point.
You can also spread a few around on the shelves in your pantry.
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1996/vp960811/08090089.htm
- Rodger
Rodger wrote in message ...

spice
stand it

had
And unwrapped sticks of spearmint gum works pretty good on some of them too. Packaged walnuts are notorious for attracting those little moths too, so get them out of there if you have them in the cupboards.
Cheri
<gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Keep in mind that mice like gum -- at least around here.
No need to upwrap them either -- a mouse had no problem getting into a cupboard under the stairs and into a backpack where it found a pack of chewing gum. Mouse and gum disappeared leaving the shredded gum wrapping behind!
HamNCheese wrote:

Crazy! The only grains I keep for long are rice and flour, which I keep in sealed jars/cannisters. Pasta should be fresh, not stored long. Cellophane bags are much better than boxes for isolating any critters. Rice and pasta can also be cooked and frozen - works great. Just heat up in microwave.
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:51:19 -0500, malam wrote:

Take critter to your local county extension agent for an accurate ID. Chances are these insects are grain-related. There are traps.
Best way to keep things under control is to keep suspect food items in sealable storage containers. Poisons are not a good idea around food for human or pet consumption.
"franz frippl" wrote

I dont think he cares what they are, just how to get rid of'em.
It will help to put any dry food like flour, pancake mix, etc. in the freezer for at least 2 days. At least they are prevented from hatching out. Then keep it in glass or large plastic bottles, tupperware, etc. Jackie

You have "food bugs," possibly weevils. Throw out everything and keep newly-purchased grains in glass jars or refrigerated. Weevils can get through cardboard boxes and some plastics. Bay leaves help repel insects and my mother kept a bay leaf in her flour all the time.
They are most likely these.
http://www.bugclinic.com/IndianMealMoth.htm
We get them allot. We throw out everything they get into and then get a no pest strip. The strip seams to kill the adults as they hatch which stops the cycle.
There are also pheromone glue traps that go into the cabinets to grab the adults as they hatch.