Sluggish Toilet

Page 1 of 3

My wife's toilet is a bit sluggish requiring the occasional use of a plunger. It is an American Standard, 20 years old. Could someone point me to a "how to" article on this subject or offer suggestions. I am hoping that a Drano like product can be used.
Thanks in advance.
Norm

This came from hallerb a regular in the group. It works wonderfully, cheap and easy. I think you will be amazed with the results, I was.
Cheri
=================From hallerb
"muriatic acid placed carefully will clean out the interior passages of the toilet 20 minutes and 10 bucks if you need saftety glasses.
safe effective fast and cheap. works amazingly well as another poster reported here, I am the one who told him about it:)
when you flush the toilet actually creates a wave that moves the waste solids into the large bottom drain & trap.
but you must have enough flow to start the wave, over time sediment builds up in the interior water passages bowl rim ald slows the flow of fresh water. at some point stuff just swirls around....
watch under the bowl rim, often gunk built up clogging the exit holes.
you can use a coathanger end to open the holes some but the sediment still fills the bowl rim and cant be reached.
Directions:
put on safety glasses, plunge drain bowl water, sponge is good idea so bowl is completely empty tank water can remain as is.
put funnel in dip tube top pour a cup or two of muratic acid in funnel. and some in bowl no splashing, and have window open and take deep breath first, then leave room shut door wait at least 15 minutes.
then return and flush about 15 times to dilute all remaing acid. you will see brown goo, thats the melted sediment.
this really works, and can be repeated if need be." .
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:43:26 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatlodinetdotcom> wrote:

Ouch! Muriatic acid on porecelein?!!! The acid will etch the toilet, causing more friction and more cleaning, who needs that? Other than that, muriatic acid is a safety issue.

No, it does not etch the porcelain, and it's not a safety issue either. I have done it twice in the past three years, and the only thing that happens is that your toilet flushes like it's supposed to, and you have a sparkling clean toilet.
Cheri
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:10:39 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatlodinetdotcom> wrote:

I've followed this advice, and it works without adverse effect on the bowl. I shorten the time as the acid works fast.
Cheri wrote:

"Put funnel in dip tube"? What's the dip tube?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message wrote in message

In the tank, where the little tube that returns the water is connected. It would be the only place that a funnel would fit, so it's easily identified. :-)
Cheri

Your wife has a dedicated toilet? Maybe bran muffins are the answer.

___________________ That will be FINE.....

Does it every flush properly? Mine was always sluggish; I pulled it and found a pill vial stuck in the trap.
I wouldn't pour hydochloric acid in my toilet without something more authoritative than a post here. I can't picture sediment building up, and I don't know what HCl will do to your plumbing.
jack wrote:

You're applying the acid to a porcelain item, where it certainly won't do any harm in 15 minutes, and then you're flushing it in very dilute form down the lines. If you're particularly paranoid, after the treatment flush once normally and immediately follow with a 5gal bucket full of baking soda solution to neutralize. Wait a few min and then do the rest of the flushing to clear everything well down the line.

I did a search on "muriatic acid" and toilet, and came up with the following. I still wouldn't use acid.

The acid will immediately attack the porcelain. HCl is a very strong acid, even when diluted. "Strong acid" means it is very reactive. Better to use a plunger and if that doesn't work a snake.
Phisherman wrote:

So will shit or vomit.

The exposure time is what matters and 15min is not an issue, even for a "strong acid".

Better to re-read where the acid is to be used, and why a plunger or snake have zero applicability there.
Would you quote to me from the original poster's question? What did he write that implies snake or plunger are zero applicability? He did say he uses the plunger occasionally. Must be working somewhat.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Read the post below of the how to use the acid and then tell me how exactly you would utilize a plunger or snake to clear the internal flush water passages in the toilet.

Nice try at changing the subject.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That is the subject, it is the quoted post that referred to using the acid. Nowhere else in this thread was there a reference to using acid to clean the toilet.

The original poster said the toilet was sluggish, and he used a plunger. If you don't know how to use a plunger or snake, that's your mental deficiency. You can find out, with or without reading about the use of acid. Your choice. If you can read what I wrote. I doubt it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Again, the only reference to using acid was in the context of using it to clear the internal flush water passages where a plunger or a snake has no applicability. Go back and re-read the thread and see if you can improve your reading comprehension.