Sluggish Toilet

Window open, to get lots of fresh air. As you'll be creating a big cloud of carbon dioxide. A couple Tums or Rolaids will help neutralize acid.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Would you quote to me from the original poster's question? What did he write that implies snake or plunger are zero applicability? He did say he uses the plunger occasionally. Must be working somewhat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Acids can attack non white porcelain.

Reply to
tnom

Just to point out that just about 20 years ago when you said the toilet was installed, many jurisdictions started requiring the use of Water Saver toilets. These toilets used about 3.5 gallons of water instead of the approximately 5.5 gallons of the older toilets. And just like the current low-flow (1.6 gallon) toilets, the first of the 3.5 ones were not ready for prime time, so they didn't work very well. You may have one of them. If so, there is not much you can do other than 1) raise the level of the water in the tank to close to the top of the fill tube and 2) hold the handle down until you get a complete flush (or replace the flapper with one that is designed to close slower).

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Read the post below of the how to use the acid and then tell me how exactly you would utilize a plunger or snake to clear the internal flush water passages in the toilet.

Reply to
Pete C.

The first flush will move most of the acid downstream, so the subsequent bucket flush with baking soda solution will be doing it's neutralizing in the pipes where the CO2 produces will exit the vent stack.

Reply to
Pete C.

This link states NOT to use muriatic acid IF on a septic system. Said to kill the necessary bacteria. Instead use a septic safe product.

Something not mentioned prior to your link.

Reply to
Oren

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDand get 36,000 hits.

Hi I am hallerb and have used muriatic acid on several slow toilets with no bad effects. other than they flush fine when your done:)

as long as the toilet flushes solids properly with a bucket of water, then the acid should work.

you can use CLR or even vinegar, but thats slow expensive and not nearly as effective.

hard water clogs the interior bowl rim passages, slowing the wave action that actually creates the flush.

people with this problem have several choices.

use a bucket to flush solids

replace the toilet with a new one.

or use acid.

Reply to
hallerb

Children's toys have been known to lodge out of sight in the toilet trap.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

I've used this (your) acid trick and about to do it again.

What about septic tanks, acid, etc.?

Reply to
Oren

So do female products. Prison Visiting Rooms are the worse.

Reply to
Oren

i dont think acid and septics are a good idea.

better to pull the toilet, do the acid treatmenty outdoors, flush well with hose, and replace toilet.

when doing toliet, I always flush repeatedly at least 10 times afterward.

you could also tape all the drain holes shut and use vinegar oivernite.

frankly ithe acid is quick easy cheap and effective

Reply to
hallerb

I'd be cautious on the quantity, but the small amount of acid relative to 1,000gal or more volume in the septic tank shouldn't be a problem. Doing the baking soda flush would add another level of safety.

If you're really paranoid, remove the toilet and do the whole acid flush thing in the back yard using a garden hose to fill the tank. Do the baking soda thing to neutralize the acid on the ground and flush well with the hose.

Reply to
Pete C.

better to pull the toilet, do the acid treatmenty outdoors, flush well with hose, and replace toilet.

when doing toliet, I always flush repeatedly at least 10 times afterward.

you could also tape all the drain holes shut and use vinegar oivernite.

frankly ithe acid is quick easy cheap and effective

==========

Yes, it works very well, and is easy and cheap. As I said before, I had all the lines snaked by Roto-somebody, at a cost of close to $300.00 and still the toilet wasn't running freely. After your treatment, it was like a "miracle in a bowl" LOL and the toilet really is sparkling clean afterward with all that gunk out of those little holes. The only thing that you have to be careful about is not splashing on yourself, and as you say open the window. I put a portable fan in the bathroom before I started, opened the window, and turned the fan on on my way out. Really, not much smell left at all afterwards.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

So what do you do with the left over acid?

Reply to
Phisherman

"Put funnel in dip tube"? What's the dip tube?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Yes, it is a water-saver model. Color is ivory. Most of the time it is OK but with a "heavy load" it blocks up partially. Thanks for the closet auger suggestion. Are any of the Drano like products worth trying?

Reply to
NSN

save for future use? flush it down the drain? give to a friend for his or her toilet? besides you can buy small containers and its cheap.

its not a violent reaction, muriatic acid is also used to clean brick

Reply to
hallerb

In the tank, where the little tube that returns the water is connected. It would be the only place that a funnel would fit, so it's easily identified. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Nice try at changing the subject.