Toilet Woes

Hello All:

I'm hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction on this one.

I was replacing the guts of a toilet for a friend of mine and installed a flowmaster ballcock. This ballcock is of the newer type with a cylinder that just rises up and down on the inlet tube and shuts the water off when it rises high enough. The problem that I'm having is that it will leak every few seconds, pass a bit of water and then shut off again. I adjusted the shutoff point to a lower setting but am still experiencing the problem.

I've still got the receipt and could take it back to the Borg, but thought that perhaps I was missing something.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Sounds like the flapper is leaking a small amount of water into the bowl and when the level drops enough the inlet valve refills the tank. For the $3-4 for a good one I would try this first.

You can test by allowing the tank to fill and adding food color to the tank water. If any color shows in the bowl, you have confirmed it is the flapper.

Proper water level is about 1 inch below the overflow tub.

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks for the reply Colbyt. I replaced the overflow tube and flapper at the same time. When I checked it it didn't appear to be leaking water, but perhaps I missed that.

Reply to
Peter H

The water that is coming in has to be going somewhere, either over the top of the overflow tube, through leaking flap, etc. Leaking flap is the classic that produces that symptom. You can check by putting some food dye in the tank and seeing if it appears in the bowl. If leaking, try cleaning the flapper seat.

Reply to
trader4

With some refill valves, having the little refill tube sticking too far down into the overflow tube will cause that tube to syphon water out of the tank, causing the kind of symptoms you describe.

That open end of that little refill tube should not be lower than the normal tank water level.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Get one of these:

It won't stop the leak, but it will stop the tank from refilling after the leak.

Who's brainchild was that device anyway? Why wouldn't someone just fix the leak in the first place?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Do you mean Fluidmaster as opposed to Flowmaster?

You say a cylinder rises up and down. If this is what I am picturing then the bottom of this rising tube seals against a rubber washer. This could be where you are leaking. Remove the washer and clean the groove that it goes into and also clean the seating area for the washer. Now coat the groove and the washer and the washer seat with Vaseline and re-assemble. This valve should no longer leak.

Reply to
tnom

..

Hi Jeff:

I suspect that this is the problem. I thought I should have snipped that thing off !! I'll try it and see what happens !!

Thanks,

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H