Slow icemaker?

The icemaker in our GE refrigerator (GSH25JFXBWW) makes ice but it does so very slowly. There are only two of us who use ice. For the last three days, I was the only one using ice and the icemaker did not quite keep up with my use. I do not waste ice. I put the ice in a one-quart insulated jug and add chilled water from the dispenser in the refrigerator door. I drink the water until it gets too warm and then add more ice.

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? The temperature in the freezer compartment stays between plus 10 and minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit. We have very hard water. I think it is about 250 ppm total hardness. Could mineral deposits have mostly clogged a water opening? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Is this recent, or has it always been slow?????

Reply to
hrhofmann

No clue but the first thing I can think of is to unplug the refrig for about 4 hours and then plug it back in and see if that helps.

Reply to
Doug

It is recent.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Is the 'fridge/freezer stuck in a defrost cycle? Have you measured the temperature? The other problem I've had is the bar that measures the amount of ice in the bucket sometimes sticks.

Reply to
krw

As I wrote in my original message, I did check the temperature. I have checked the bar. It seems to move correctly. I have never seen it in the wrong position.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

If it is as easy to remove as mine is- then take it out for a few hours.

If not- put a hairdryer on the spot where the water enters the ice maker.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If the cubes are the right size and weight, the ice maker is filling properly. Slow to freeze means that the freezer isn't removing the heat fast enough. I'd start by cleaning the condensor.

.

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? The temperature in the freezer compartment stays between plus 10 and minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit. We have very hard water. I think it is about 250 ppm total hardness. Could mineral deposits have mostly clogged a water opening? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A lot depends on how it works. My old ice maker had a temperature sensor in the ice tray which was hard set to 7 degrees. When the water was at 7 degrees, it was time to harvest the ice. However, it would take, seemingly forever, to get to that temperature. So, I replaced the sensor. Unfortunately, it still behaved the same way. The ice was actually ready to be harvested in about 2 hours, but it would take much longer for the sensor to reach the magic 7 degrees. I actually installed a switch, instead of the sensor, to test how long it actually took, under varying conditions. I determined that 3 1/2 hours was good, so I built an electronic timer (can you say geek?) which, to my knowledge, is probably still working ... in someone else's house.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Our water is twice are hard as yours and has never caused a problem clogging ice makers. If your cubes are the same size they have always been you don't have a clogging problem. But if they are smaller then they used to be you might have a water supply issue, perhaps the filter is plugged? I recently experienced a very similar reduction in apparent ice production in my Samsung. I reduced the temp of the freezer compartment about 10 degrees (now it's at -4) and removed the water filter. The old filter had cut the water flow by about half. Even though the ice cubes don't look like they are bigger I have to assume they are due to the increase in water flow. I assume that is why I seem to be getting "more" ice production. In the samsung there appears to be some kind of sensor for when the ice has frozen enough to cycle the maker so presumably lowering the temp should make it cycle somewhat sooner and make more ice. Most likely the increase in water flow has resulted in bigger ice cubes so it takes less cubes to cool things... less cubes means the supply doesn't get used up as fast. The bottom line for me is that I seem to have enough ice again.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If the water delivery is clogged, the ice cubes will be hollow, or small.

.

If it is as easy to remove as mine is- then take it out for a few hours.

If not- put a hairdryer on the spot where the water enters the ice maker.

Jim

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

rote:

Another example where you can't read or comprehend:

"Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? The temperature in the freezer compartment stays between plus 10 and minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit. "

Who's the moron now, moron? I suppose next you'll be calling me a liar for pointing it out.

Reply to
trader4

Absolutely right about the water fill issue. All the ones that I have seen run on a simple timed system to fill the tray. If there is inadquate water supply, the tray will not fill completely and cubes will be small.

He stated the freezer is 4F to 10F. That is a bit high, target is usually 0F. It could be contributing to the problem. Also, we don't know if it consistently maintains that temp range. So, I too would suspect temp as a problem.

The other thing could be that the temp switch that governs when it kicks the cubes out has gone bad. Again, the ones I have seen rely on a temp switch that closes when the temp of the cubes drops below some temp below freezing indicating that the cubes are frozen. If it's sticking or out of range, that would do it too.

Reply to
trader4

My icemaker uses an emitter/detector. When the bin is full, the beam is blocked. Also has a little mechanical shutter that can manually "turn off" the icemaking by blocking the emitter. If OP has such a system, perhaps there's something in the freezer blocking the beam.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Gee, Trader, can't read? He *clearly* said "minus 4F to 10F". Last I checked, 0F was between those values. Idiot.

Reply to
krw

Now everyone knows that YOU'RE GAY!!!! (And an animal abuser).

Reply to
default

As usual, having made a mistake, instead of just owning up to it, you try to cover it up. It has nothing to do with

0 being between minus 4F to 10F. It's the fact that in his very first post he clearly stated that the the temperature was between minus 4F and 10F. To which you responded with:

"Have you measured the temperature? "

Who's the idiot now, idiot?

Next you'll be calling me a liar. Typical.

Reply to
trader4

The balls I kick are plastic toys. After I paid the adoption fees, the animal shelter sent my cat directly to a spay and neuter center. I picked him up there after they castrated him. He does not have any testicles.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

You're lying, again, Trader.

Which you responded much later stating "He stated the freezer is 4F to 10F.", which, given your complaint that I can't read", is truly funny.

You're obviously both an idiot and a liar.

Only because you are, obviously.

Reply to
krw