sloppy Kwikset lock

My front door hasn't sealed well since I replaced the knob/latch with a Kwikset Tylo. The latching tongue has so much slop that after I push the door closed far enough to latch, the latch lets it come open about 2.5mm (0.1"). My weatherstripping doesn't have that much elasticity.
Is this just a bad design? Can the play be reduced?
If the D strike has a "tongue" inside the latch hole, it is often used to fine tune the latch point. Just reach in with a small screwdriver or similar and bend the tab slightly.
.1 of an inch is less than 1/8". That would seem a normal tolerance in my opinion.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .