Slightly OT - Makita gas chainsaws

Anyone know anything about these? I trust the Makita name, but don't know if they know anything about gas engines. Or does somebody else make these for them?
Any info is appreciated...
Dave

Nevermind, I found some reviews on Amazon.com that I didn't see before, and learned that someone else makes the chainsaws for Makita. Still need to find out what happens if I run them on 40:1 gas/oil instead of the specified 50:1 mixture, but that's about it. Suspect I'll just get an extra gas can, since they apparently need their own brand of oil and *nothing else* in the gas. Either way, with time I'll figure it out. It just take some research...
Dave

Nothing will happen if you run 40:1 mixture. It may smoke a little more, but no harm. 2 cycle engines are all the same. At worse you MAY foul a plug or build up a little more carbon in the exhaust, but nothing that will damage your engine. They use to run a 20:1 mixture in the same motors years ago until the synthetic oils came out. They all switched to the synthetics because of the fouling of plugs and carbon buildup.
Hank

Why not run 50-1? That is what all those little "one shot" 2 cycle oil bottles are made for (either one or 2 gallon per). Of course if you already have something that needs 40-1...
I would not run a richer mix myself. I have used chainsaws for over 30 years in cluding a couplel years back in the 50s. I don't like breathing the smoky exhaust from 40-1 mixes anymore :), plus the modern saws are not engineered for it.
Makita may say only to use their brand but that is just hype.
Harry K
-snip-

Except the ones that are made for 40:1. .. or [presumably] something else.
Jim

What's it gonna be? You believe todays engines are not made to run 40:1 or even 20:1, but you say only using their oil is hype. I think its all hype, you can run anything from 20:1 with regular 10w30, to 100:1 with the right oils without any damage.
I guess we believe what we want to believe and the manufacturers recommendations mean nothing.
Hank <~~~believes what he wants to believe too
IT May work, but my experience with a brand new Core Cut saw was that too rich a fuel mixture would not start. Took it back to the store, they changed the fuel to proper dilution, started first pull. Manufacturers have reasons for their recommendations.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

You probably "gas fouled" a plug. My neighbor did the same thing with his new chainsaw. Brought it to me, I took the plug out, pulled a couple times to get the excessive fuel out, put another plug in and it too started on first pull. This is a common occurance with new 2 cycles.
Hank