sliding wood door

Hello Our living room has a large built-in shelf type monstrosity which is ugly and has become a catch-all for all sorts of things. It's width is 84" divided into 3 equal segments. I have 2 old wood doors I'd like to use as sliding panels to keep 2 shelf segments hidden at all times. What are some fairly easy and inexpensive ways to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

andrew

_________________________ Message sent through

andrewlu

By the time you are done dtrying to make sliding doors, why not go with bifold doors? Probably be a sight cheaper in the end and look a lot better...way simpler too.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

AGREED

Reply to
hrhofmann

Use a couple of old doors and make or buy track for them to slide in/ on.

Google 'DIY sliding door track', and click on the Images tab on the results page, then peruse. You'll find something that'll work for you.

RicodJour

You didn't mention the width of the two old doors. If they are - or can be made into - 28" or a bit more in width you could hang a sliding door track full width across the front and hang a door at each end. You could then expose any single bookcase with the other two covered.

It would look best with a top casing to cover the track and one at each end to cover the door edge. Assuming that the bookcases are elevated a bit above the floor, the addition of a piece of wood - with a dado equal to the the thickness of the doors plus maybe 1/4" - on the floor would keep the doors from moving in and out.

Personally, I wouldn't use bifold doors here. I like them but for your application - especially since you already have doors you want to use - I think sliding doors would both look better and be easier to rig; moreover, they would give you full access which bifolds would not.

Sliding door hardware can be found here...

dadiOH

Johnson makes some nice slider hardware The 200 series is plenty for most doors and far better than that stamped sheet metal crap you see in the cheap box store door assemblies. I used Johnson 400 hardware in the kids room but they take rides on the doors.

Reply to
gfretwell