Sliding Door Replacement Tips??

Tomorrow, I am replacing a sliding patio door. I've never done anything like this and am wondering if anyone has any tips that might help, but might not be obvious to a regular Joe like me. I will have help from a guy who has done alot of work like this (i.e. window replacement, door replacement, etc.), but he's never done a sliding door either.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete
Rileyesi wrote:

Good luck, the blind leading the blind is not a good idea... get someone who has done it before to help you....
In alt.home.repair on 01 Aug 2003 03:50:50 GMT snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.gov (Rileyesi) posted:

You mean *just* the door, or the whole frame. Either way, make sure the prior owner didn't put a broom stick above the door. It's a good way to keep people from breaking in, but it works against the owner too if he doesn't notice. :)

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.gov (Rileyesi) wrote in message

From what I have seen on this old house (I am not a pro by any means).. its just like installing a window basically.
You need to make sure you threshold is flat and level. You also need to put a nice size bead of caulk along the threshhold before installing the door. When putting the door in place make sure you tilt the bottom in first and try to avoid smearing the caulk all over the place. You want a good seal. Once the door is up make sure it is still square and placed evenly in the frame. Then shim and nail it in place.
I would personally use some spray foam inbetween the door frame and the wall. That will cut down on drafts and air movement near the moulding.
Crayola
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.gov says...

I had my sliding door replaced recently. I am not shy about doing plumbing, drywall etc, but I would hesitate at doing a sliding door replacement. It took took two experienced installers the better part of the morning to get the job done. The biggest detail is making sure the door is plumb and square, otherwise it won't close and lock properly. Other details to consider are weather tight seals and stucco. If you don't do the stucco properly, the job will look lousy no matter what quality window you purchased. This is assuming you have a stucco house.
Good luck.