Skylight cold

I have a skylight in a backroom that has a cathedral ceiling. There is a light shaft of approximately 2 feet. I kept feeling cold air coming down on me (no it wasn't the mother-in-law) so I got up on a ladder and it was freezing. I put a thermostat up there and its a 12-15 degree difference from the house!

My guess is that the insulation on the shaft walls has come down or worse was never there! Any ideas/tricks on how to insulate those 4 oh-so-small walls?? Or do I have to take down the drywall?

Thanks

Edee Em I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....

Reply to
edee em

You should be able to access it from the attic area. It may be a very tight fit, hard to say, each situation is different. There are lots of option for insulation.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Also check for gaps around the cover itself. A client hired me to keep wasps out of her skylight. I found a 1/2" opening on one side of the skylight cap. The plastic cap and frame just sat on top of flashing that stuck out of the roof. The structure didn't have a tight fit, and the installer put all the gap on one side. The client says that room is much more comfortable now, and they don't have any more wasps.

Reply to
Steve