Skim coat on drywall with paint.

Doing my basement with 1/2 sheetrock. I need to prime it. I was told that mixing a little bit of drywall compound with a latex paint will create a nice primer coat for the new wallboard. I have never heard of this. Have you all tried this? What were the ratios used? I am not going to skim coat the entire thing, so I thought this might be a good alternative. Thanks.

Reply to
Jack