Skiing behind twin engine boat?

Page 1 of 2
I posted this in the boat newsgroup but it doesn't seem to get enough traffic, thought someone here might be able to help.
My Dad is looking at a twin engine (twin 260 hp) 25' boat. But he has one major question? will he be able to take someone skiing behind a twin engine boat? A bunch of people we have talked to say that you don't ski behind a twin engine boat,
WHY? Is it a problem with the wake or just cost of fuel?
Since he has also looked at a few single engine bowriders what would be the main advantage of the same size boat except twin engines? Disadvantages?
The twin engine boat is a Wellcraft 250 xl
I don't see this question posted in rec.boats, which would be the best place to post it. What boating newsgroup did you post it in?
Not real sure what you mean; Inboard twin screws or two outboards?
I won't go into one engine vs. two because it's a long list of pros and cons with a lot of fans on either side. But, for skiing behind them:
Twin outboards are much harder to ski behind, IFF the driver and equipment aren't set up right. For one thing, that much power (two 160's) on a 25' boat is going to give it spectacularly dangerous high speed capabilities for skiing. It's real easy to go too fast with a boat when there's a skier behind. Acceleration also takes getting used to or you just pull the ropes right out of their hands (or arms out of t heir sockets). But, given an experienced operator, smooth working controls, and proper skiing setup, it's a real thrill to ski behind a boat like that. Been there, done it, love it, only cut myself once, never got conked on the head.
With dual outboards especially, you need a good rope setup, an done with some spring in the poles, like a diving board. T hey're standard equipment but cost a little more than just hooking onto two eyelets on the back of the boat. Normally you need a longer rope to get back where the wake won't make it impossible to ski. SAme's with a small boat and too short a rope, though, just a little stronger tail shooting up. Depending on the hull design, a good skiing speed might be just prior to the boat planing off; making it difficult to see where the driver is going, creating a stong, high tail in the wake, and lots of water turmoil for the skier unless the rope is long enough. If the trottles are smooth though and the planing speed is reasonable low, then it works out great. Else you're going to be skiing at faster speeds. A rope that gets into that tail prior to planing, can get pretty rowdy; thus the rope extenders for the ski rope.
Any good ski shop can tell you how to outfit everything. Don't take my word or anyone else's here; get the info first hand and if you have to, get the boat for a day and get a good demo. Larger boats are harder to handle and takes more experience to drive them for a skier. It depends on so many things it's impossible to give accurate opinions, really.
But, you CAN indeed ski behind a twin engine boat - if you do it wrong, you'll learn how it was wrong rather quickly though, so best to do the research you're doing. Perhpaps more descrioptions are in order to get some real world experience from others who've "been there". Hull type, plane speeds, top dspeed, idle speed, (mph, NOT in knots) has it been used for skiing before & have a history, is it already equipped, horsepower, screw directions, etc. etc. etc..
Liek you said, a boating group is likely to be lots better; I'd keep looking.
HTH,
Pop

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:41:47 -0400, HotRod wrote:

Why would you think that? Don't be a doofus all your life.
Linux Registered User #327951
This question is posted in can.rec.boating and alt.home.repair and rec.boats
My Dad is looking at a twin engine (twin 260 hp) 25' boat. But he has one major question? will he be able to take someone skiing behind a twin engine boat? A bunch of people we have talked to say that you don't ski behind a twin engine boat,
WHY? Is it a problem with the wake or just cost of fuel?
Since he has also looked at a few single engine bowriders what would be the main advantage of the same size boat except twin engines? Disadvantages?
The twin engine boat is a Wellcraft 250 xl
At Lake Shasta in northern California many years ago I was asked to be the observer by the ski designer for O'Brien skis while he checked out the latest sanding of a ski he was creating for the then well known female skier whose name escapes me now. Commented to his with what RPMs he wanted for each engine and away we went!

not sure I understand, SORRY
HotRod wrote:

That's obvious. Who are you talking to?
Not sure I understand the REPLY Below

HotRod wrote:

> Not sure I understand. > >
In a back-asswards way he's saying people ski behind twin engine boats. Or he could be saying one must be a female skier to do so, or a well known female skier, or one must use different rpms for each engine, or I dunno. I think...
O'Brien ski designer asked his WIFE to set the RPMs on BOTH motors to the figure he preferred while checking out the last modification he made to the ski. Skiing with two motors was done was the point I was attempting to make. Don't have any idea how "wife" ended up as "with"! Sorry.

You can ski behind anything that has enough power and speed. On two skis you need about 22 to 25 mph to be able to stay up. On a slalom you need 28 to 32 depending on the ski design and the weight of the person. You also need enough power and quickness of reaching that speed or you will drown the skier trying to get up.
Having said that. If your boat planes easily and can run 30 mph then yes - you can ski. The wake may be huge but you can do it.
--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

rec.boats
engine
the
I've done it a few times.. No problems that I can report.
Don B.

I've never been able to ski behind a twin engine boat. It has nothing to do with the cost of fuel.
HotRod wrote:

Better with a single. Here's Kanter powering his out of the 5 mph zone.
http://www.mkmarina.org/Photographs/table-boat.jpg
Now, THAT is neat!

you can ski behind a twin engine boat. i see people doing it all the time. those v8 twins can suck 30 gallons of gas an hour .

engine
I used to ski behind a 31 foot twin engine cruiser. We added about 60 feet to the tow rope to get the skier out of the rough water from the prop. You could really get AIR from that wake.
Bob
Edwin Pawlowski
Do you want to explain why you haven't been able to ski behind a twin engine boat?
wrote in message

Same reason I can't ski behind a single engine boat. I'm clumsy and can't balance on the skis. Thought you'd never ask ;)