Sistering deck joists

As part of some renovations I'm doing, I'm going to strip the top off of my 16x16 deck. The foundation and structure is VERY solid, but the decking and railings are in terrible shape, so they are going away.
The deck is set on 12 sonotubes that are plenty deep, holding up doubled 2x10 beams. All good so far. The floor joists are 2x6, 16" OC. This is OK, but marginal if I ever wanted to do something more with the deck like enclose a patio room on it.
Since I'm taking off the decking, now is the time to beef up those 2x6 joists. My question is: is it better to double up the 2x6s, either by sistering them to the old ones or by adding in the middle (making them 8" OC), or just get rid of them and go to 2x8 or 2x10s?
The cost of either solution is reasonable for me, as is the labor. Just want to know which is the "better" way.
--
Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7) snipped-for-privacy@zk3.dec.com
HP/Compaq Corporation snipped-for-privacy@compaq.com

If the 2x6's are spanning 4', they are fine. Just replace the deck boards.

snipped-for-privacy@and.zk.dec.com (Andrew Duane USG) writes:

You didn't say how far the 2x6 joists were spanning. Just about any kind of wood should be good for an 8' span, and really premium lumber is good for a 40 lb. live load at an 11'-6" span. You really have to go to tables to specify the maximum allowable span for your type of wood, but don't automatically assume that 2x6 is inadequate.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

If you're thinking of enclosing the deck, you might consider putting down some screen before you lay new decking.
2x6s should span 4' w/out problem (barring the unusual). How far apart are the posts/sonotubes (span of beams)?
Renata