Sink Pop-up stopper stuck

Hi all,
Could someone please offer some advise? I have a Sink Pop-up stopper in my basin. The stopper has been jammed and is stuck about 2mm below the edge of the flange. It seems that the stopper was forced down too much and the pivot couldn't stop it from going so deep.
Is there anyway that I can DIY this and remove the stopper? Do I need to open drainpipe to force the stopper back up from below? What kind of tools will I need?
Thanks in advance
Jean

Have you stuck your head under the sink yet and looked at the side of the drain pipe?
Yes - but I dont understand what you mean.
There is a rod, that I assume, pushes the stopper up...but I have a feeling this rod is disconnected from the stopper inside the drain pipe. Help please!
Cheers, Jean
May 2006 09:19:06 -0700, wrote:

Visit this website: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infplumb/infpopup.shtm
and remember, Google is your friend ;-)
--
Seth Goodman

Thanks Seth, but I have seen that 1 already, by using guess what :=)

Using the picture on that site as a reference, remove the pivot nut and then remove the pivot arm then stick a coat hanger or other suitable poking device up the hole to push the stopper out from below. The stopper has a part that hangs down to about the level of the hole, try inserting the pivot arm back into the hole at the bottom of the stopper and reattaching the pivot nut and see if that dosn't make it work right.
If it is really wedged in (swaged) then you will need to disassemble the drain and install a new one. Parts cost is not high and it is not too hard either. Buy a plumbing book because the instructions are more than I care to write if it comes to that.

Did it get stuck through normal use, or did a child or gorilla yank up on the rod too hard?