Sink plug

How do I remove the 'plug' (if that's what it's called) from a bathroom sink to clean it? It's one of those ones that you control from a long knob sticking up at the back of the faucets. I'm sure I removed these before in a different house by jiggling them around a little - but I can't get my current ones out. The water is flowing down slowly so I think there must be a blockage. I have removed the pipes below the sink and made sure they're all clean so I think the problem is higher up, near the opening to the sink.
Thanks for any help.
Paul
They are often removed by unscrewing a collar where the horizontal operating rod goes into the drain pipe at the rear. The rod will then pull out of the pipe and disengage from the stopper. Be sure it is properly engaged when you put it back. Don Young

Paul:
D > How do I remove the 'plug' (if that's what it's called) from a bathroom sin
I call it a 'stopper' -- probably some 'scientific' name for it. <g>
D > to clean it? It's one of those ones that you control from a long knob D > sticking up at the back of the faucets. I'm sure I removed these before in D > a different house by jiggling them around a little - but I can't get my D > current ones out. The water is flowing down slowly so I think there must b
D > a blockage. I have removed the pipes below the sink and made sure they're D > all clean so I think the problem is higher up, near the opening to the sink
Obviously you've tried to turn it to remove. The other respondant's suggestion is probably correct: remove the screwed-on cap where the control bar goes into the pipe -- have a container on the floor to catch any water/debris. Pull the control bar back about a half-inch to disengage from the stopper. You should now be able to remove the stopper for cleaning.
When re-inserting you will probably not want to have to go through this again. Some stoppers can be rotated 180 so they can be easily removed -- just resting on the control bar. Other stoppers don't allow this type of installation.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* "My favorite statue is Venus de Milo," said Tom disarmingly.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971