Sink plug

How do I remove the 'plug' (if that's what it's called) from a bathroom sink to clean it? It's one of those ones that you control from a long knob sticking up at the back of the faucets. I'm sure I removed these before in a different house by jiggling them around a little - but I can't get my current ones out. The water is flowing down slowly so I think there must be a blockage. I have removed the pipes below the sink and made sure they're all clean so I think the problem is higher up, near the opening to the sink.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Reply to
D'Olier

Don Young

Paul:

D > How do I remove the 'plug' (if that's what it's called) from a bathroom sin

I call it a 'stopper' -- probably some 'scientific' name for it.

D > to clean it? It's one of those ones that you control from a long knob D > sticking up at the back of the faucets. I'm sure I removed these before in D > a different house by jiggling them around a little - but I can't get my D > current ones out. The water is flowing down slowly so I think there must b

D > a blockage. I have removed the pipes below the sink and made sure they're D > all clean so I think the problem is higher up, near the opening to the sink

Obviously you've tried to turn it to remove. The other respondant's suggestion is probably correct: remove the screwed-on cap where the control bar goes into the pipe -- have a container on the floor to catch any water/debris. Pull the control bar back about a half-inch to disengage from the stopper. You should now be able to remove the stopper for cleaning.

When re-inserting you will probably not want to have to go through this again. Some stoppers can be rotated 180ø so they can be easily removed -- just resting on the control bar. Other stoppers don't allow this type of installation.

  • "My favorite statue is Venus de Milo," said Tom disarmingly.
Reply to
barry martin