Sink hole in my walkway

We've had a lot of rain up here in the Northeast and a 1-foot-by-1-foot-by-1-foot (very symmetrical!) sinkhole has formed in my paved walkway. I'm thinking about filling the hole with rocks and then pouring some concrete in there and then hiring someone to put an asphalt patch over it so it blends in with the rest of the walkway.
Does this sound like the right approach?
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles http://OldRoads.com
Skip the concrete and use base rock not a bag of uniform sized rocks

If you're going to get a hot patch done, then I would get them to take care of the base prep work too. Most important is that it be compacted. And I agree to forget about the concrete, as it isn't buying you anything. But it's going to be hard to find anyone that wants to do that small of a job. You cou go with the cold patch material sold at the home centers. I've used it for similar work and it's still there doing fine 10 years later.
On 22 May 2006 13:58:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

No. If it's really a sinkhole, and not just a pothole, or washout, you need to find out where all the water and dirt is going. Dig it up first, find out what's going on, *THEN* fill it with rocks, smaller-rocks, and mixed-run gravel. SKip the cement.
Or you could just let whoever is going to be doing the asphalt patch worry about the whole job.
i agree find out whats going on otherwise the hole will just appear again/
sewer water or drain lines in the area
Thanks for your help with this. I dug it out and found it was caused by rainwater flooding a chipmunk hole underneath the walkway. I packed everything down, filled it with crushed stone (no cement!), and bought some coldpatch and followed the directions on the package. It came out pretty well, though the color of the coldpatch is a lot darker than the walkway asphalt. Maybe it'll get lighter over time.
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles http://OldRoads.com
sprinkle some light colored sand on the coldpatch and pound the surface with the end of a 2x or so and it will stick and give a lighter color
Yessss! I tried that and the color almost matches. It blended quite well, Thanks!
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles http://OldRoads.com