Simple generator transfer switch

I have been finding online $100 6-breaker transfer switches for the inside (1 240v and 4 120v). The obvious drawback is that after the well pump, fridge and heating I am limited to choosing only two rooms to have lights and it costs a lot to have installed. My lighting is very low watts so I don't want to be stuck in two rooms during a long outage and I have been getting some prices around $350 to install the box.

I would think that there should be a very simple switch out there that interrupts the line outside before the breaker panel and transfers the entire house over to the generator input and it would be at a reasonable price and resonable cost to instal since it is just one split. I can't seem to find a device like this anywhere.

In the $100 6 breaker box your getting the box and 6 breakers. In the

100 amp switches that I have been able to fine there is only one 100 amp switch and the unit costs $400. Does what I am looking for exists? Why are these 100 amp switches I am finding cost so much for so little?
Reply to
Jordan

is about as simple as you can get and have all of your circuits available to generator power.

Reply to
John Grabowski

This is a very very cool product. I just built a house with a separate generator panel. I wish the electrician would have known about this product. Cheaper and better, as you can select which circuits you want powered up. And it is UL approved to boot!

Reply to
Art Todesco

Simple, for sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Easy to install, reliable, safe. This is what I would use.

Reply to
bud--